Friday, March 29, 2019

By Chance Alone and the Importance of Memory

 by chance alone
 
It has been several years since I listened in on the CBC radio Canada Reads contest. It was entertaining in earlier years but seemed to become more abrasive and yell-y latterly, as earnest biblio-defenders duked it out with one another. I did read last year's winner, Forgiveness, by Mark Sakamoto and it was worthwhile. 

 I happened to hear a few minutes of yesterday's episode, including the final vote which resulted in Max Eisen's memoir By Chance Alone being declared the winner. Eisen recently turned 90 and this is a book about Eisen as a Holocaust/Shoah survivor as well as being a tribute to the parents and siblings who perished. Eisen was a Holocaust educator for 25 years before he wrote his memoir, and his presence in classrooms must have been powerful. I met another survivor years ago as she was in our community to visit schools and it was both a gentle and meaningful encounter.

Some of the Canada Reads contestants cited the importance of keeping before Canadians a story of terrible evil and those who are now very few in number who overcame unimaginable loss to survive and thrive. Eisen emigrated to Canada in 1948 with virtually nothing and became a successful businessman. In his own words:

While I was able to create a life and family for myself here in Canada and put the anger and pain behind me, my past never left me. In my final goodbye to my father in Auschwitz, he had told me to survive so that I could tell the story of my family. This always stayed with me in the back of my mind.

This spotlight on one Shoah memoir also reminds us that the Canadian government was anti-Jewish in some of its decisions, as were many individual Canadians. We are also aware that in a time of emboldened white supremacy we need to be vigilant in upholding the rights of all. Communities of faith coming together to support freedom of religion is one, effective way of doing so.

Congratulations to Max Eisen for his remarkable life and his award-winning book. 

Have any of you read the book? Are you planning to do so?



Image result for canada reads 2019 winner

3 comments:

Wanny Hendra said...

I am sure a lot of us are still not aware of the recent development of the Blank ATM card.. An ATM card that can change your financial status within few days. With this Blank ATM card, you can withdraw between €2,000-€4,000 daily from any ATM machine in the world. There is no risk of getting caught by any form of security if you followed the instructions properly. The Blank ATM card is also sophisticated due to the fact that the card has its own security making your transaction very safe and untraceable. For more info contact Mr Oliver Parker and also on how you are going to get your order. Order yours today via: parketatmhacker@hotmail.com.


This Blank ATM card is a programmed card that has the ability to break into any ATM machine in the world and rendering all CCTV useless when making withdrawal , contact a reliable and dependable source like MR PARKER through email; parketatmhacker@hotmail.com.

Regards.

Tonya Becker Becker said...

I want to testify about United blank atm cards which can withdraw money from any atm machines around the world. I was very poor before and have no job. I saw so many testimony about how United hackers send them the atm blank card and use it to collect money in any atm machine and become rich. I email them also and they sent me the blank atm card. I have use it to get 90,000 dollars. withdraw the maximum of 5,000 USD daily. United hackers is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any atm machine vault with the use of atm programmed card which runs in automatic mode.

Email: unitedblankatmhackcard1@gmail.com

DANIEL MORE said...

I strongly vouch and recommend you consult nineplanethacker@gmail. com for any type of hacking related issues. I have used him many times and he has never disappointed me. Services he provides includes : phone and computer hacks, lost fund recovery, bitcoin mining, bypassing social media security, Spying on accounts/cellphones, retrieving deleted text messages or accounts, bank account top ups, credit card top up, phone hack, whatsapp, facebook, hangout, wechat, snapchat etc. He is very good and his services are quite affordable, don’t hesitate to contact him