Wednesday, March 13, 2019

You're the Apple of My Eye!

Image result for apple of my eye

He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness;
he led him about, he instructed him,
he kept him as the apple of his eye.

 Deuteronomy 32:10  (KJV)
I came across the phrase "apple of my eye" not too long ago, an expression which many of us know as one of affection in the English language. Someone who is cherished is the "apple of my eye." For some unknown reason I wanted to know where that came from and began snooping. It was used in a play by William Shakespeare, but there are several examples in the King James Version of the bible from the early 17th century. Modern scholars aren't so sure that the original Hebrew meant anything other than eyeball, but the translator whose prodigious work was foundational to the KJV may have decided that it was the apple or the focal point of God's eye. William Tyndale's marvelous translation gave us phrases such as:

  • my brother's keeper
  • knock and it shall be opened unto you
  • a moment in time
  • seek and ye shall find
  • ask and it shall be given you
  • judge not that ye be not judged
  • let there be light
  • the powers that be
  • the salt of the earth
  • a law unto themselves
  • it came to pass
  • the signs of the times
  • filthy lucre

  • There are at least five verses where the "apple of the eye" phrase is used in the KJV perhaps more. Well, there is your arcane trivia lesson for today. Who knows, this may help you watching Jeopardy some evening. I do this dear readers because you are the bushel of apples in my eye...please pass the Visine...

    Keep me as the apple of the eye,
    hide me under the shadow of thy wings...

    Psalm 17:8  (KJV)

    No comments: