Thursday, May 02, 2019

God is Still Here

Image result for everything happens for a reason and other lies i've loved

I correspond with a friend from our Halifax days who now lives in Colorado. She is an active person of strong Christian faith who is active in her Presbyterian congregation. I presided at the marriage ceremony for she and her husband, a great guy. Her first husband died of cancer and his wife died as well, and it was wonderful that they found each other even though they lived 3,000 kilometres apart until a life-changing meeting. Sadly, he now has dementia, which has dramatically changed the direction of their lives. 

In a recent email she mentioned the book study at her church of Everything Happens for a Reason And Other Lies I've Loved, a memoir by Kate Bowler, who developed terminal cancer in her thirties. In my response I said:

The title of [the book] is great]. I decided early on in ministry, based on experience, that this expression is a falsehood of non-biblical proportions. It's certainly not in scripture and I watched too many bad things happen to good people to believe it. I heard it often through the years from well-meaning people, often those suffering, and I realized it wouldn't be pastoral to shout "NO!" And I never had the courage to proclaim "shit happens, but God is still here" in a sermon.

As it happens we'll drive to Sudbury on the weekend to attend the memorial service for one of Ruth's circle of woman friends from our eleven years there. This lovely, active person died of ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease. We could argue that most diseases are cruel, but this one is particularly vicious. And while 61 isn't young, it sure isn't old by Canadian standards. She simply didn't deserve this, but life isn't fair, as we discover along the way. 

I'm sure the sanctuary at St, Andrew's will be full and the music glorious, and we will give thanks for a life well lived. We'll support a grieving family and affirm our resurrection hope as well, Christ being our helper.

No comments: