Friday, May 24, 2019

The Legacy of Ministry

On Sunday we had a lovely visit with long-time friends from Newfoundland. The elders of the group were parents of four tweens and teens when I served a five-point outport pastoral charge in the early 80's and the family was wonderfully hospitable to a pair of young mainlanders. far from familiar surroundings. They were virtually the first to meet our newborn son, born in Gander hospital, and they attended the worship service led by Isaac. One of the daughters is a United Church minister in Ontario and she brought her parents to the service.

It got me thinking about ongoing contacts with those I served in six pastoral charges through the decades. I have been conscientious about not meddling in congregations I've left, and rarely return for any reason. We've also been cautious about developing friendships in congregations because of concerns about favouritism. Respecting boundaries is important in the UCC. Yet in the past couple of months we've connected with folk from all six charges.

Earlier in May we attended the memorial service for the music director's wife in Sudbury, where I was minister for eleven years. It was both terribly sad and a welcome reconnection with many fine people from a congregation I left twenty years ago. Ruth has continued to be connected with a circle of women there, which included the person who died.

I have been corresponding with a friend in Colorado whose wedding I performed while in Halifax. This was a second marriage for two people whose spouses had died, and a very happy occasion. We have stayed in touch despite the move across the continent. Now the husband has Alzheimer's and I've talked with the wife about living faithfully alongside a loved one who is drifting away.

We've also shared meals with friends from my penultimate congregation and participated in a potluck here recently. We were invited to this event on short notice and it was wonderful to see people who have been vitally involved in the meal ministries of Bridge St. Church. We find that we need to be most cautious in this community because I both served and retired here.

These connections are deeply meaningful despite the expectations of keeping a respectful distance as the former pastor. God brought us together and as a couple we benefitted greatly from the kindness and hospitality and wise counsel of so many. Even though I was called to serve I learned the way of Christ in each community, and I continue to be grateful.

No comments: