Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Discovering Juneteenth

Image result for juneteenth day

June 19th is of special significance in our family because it's the birthday of our firstborn who is 37 today. How did that happen? A moment ago I was in dazed celebration of the birth of our son following a high-speed drive from the Newfoundland outport where we lived to the hospital in Gander, 60 kilometres away.

This is also Juneteenth, commemorating June 19th, 1865, which is believed to be the day the last plantation of enslaved Black people received their freedom - a full year after Lincoln “freed the slaves.” I had no idea of this anniversary even though I think I have a copy of Ralph Ellison's novel of the same name, a book I obviously haven't read.

Image result for juneteenth ellison

I am reading a biography of Frederick Douglass, the escaped slave who became an eloquent spokesperson for emancipation decades before it came to pass. Douglass was an orator, an activist, and a Christian who quoted scripture with ease and understood the themes of liberation which run through the bible.

Juneteenth falls into the category of "you learn something new every day." Thank God and Twitter that this has come to light for me.


Image result for frederick douglass biography

2 comments:

Jason Ruth said...

[HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES VIRUS )
I was diagnosed with GENITAL HERPES VIRUS , my doctor told me it has no permanent cure, this virus affected me so badly that i was so ashamed of my self, this continued until a friend of mine Anna told me about Dr NANA from west Africa who cured her mother from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, I contacted this herbal doctor and he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received it i applied it for 2 week with the instruction and i was totally cured from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS permanently within 7 to 8 days of usage. if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email you should know about his natural herbal treatment, Dr NANA email is been attached to my post reach him for help. add him on whatsapp line or call +2347014784614.
he can also cured this disease,CANCER,ALS,HPV WARTS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,STROKE

















Carlene Rubmo said...

I am Carlene Rubmo from USA. I am here to say thanks to this herbal doctor from African DR AFRID who cure my HIV/AIDS virus totally after 1 week taking his herb. I have been tested HIV/AIDS positive since the year 2015 since then I have been living with Hiv/Aids virus,i was going through the internet when I came across a testimony about this great herbalist Dr Afrid how he cured people with his native herbs, I contacted him on his personal email [drafridherbalhome@gmail.com] explained myself to him he directed me of what I should do and how my herbs will get to me ,then he started a remedy for me . After my 1 weeks of taking his herb I gave myself 5 more days then I when to my hospital where I was tested positive before behold the result was totally Negative and since then I have been living joyfully again in the land of the living. It is good for HIV/AIDS patients to contact this great herbalist on his personal e-mail [drafridherbalhome@gmail.com] or [website:http://drafridherbalhome.webs.com] Dr Afrid Herbal Home can as well cure ....CANCER, HIV/AIDS ,KIDNEY STONE, HERPES OF ALL KIND, ETC.