Saturday, June 22, 2019

Praying for Sabbath Safety for Migrants

Image result for world refugee day 2019

When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien.
 The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you;
you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt:
 I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 19:33-34  (NRSV)

...for I was hungry and you gave me food,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,
I was a stranger and you welcomed me,  
 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me,
I was in prison and you visited me.’

Matthew 25:35-36 (NRSV)

Thursday was World Refugee Day with it's reminder that there are more refugees and displaced persons on the planet now than at any time in human history -- about 71 million. For context, that's about twice the population of Canada. People are displaced for many reasons including war, persecution, economics. An increasing number are climate refugees, on the move because of conditions which make life untenable in their homelands.

It's terrible to realize that tomorrow the United States, a nation where so many claim to be Christians, country-wide raids by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) will take place. Thousands will be deported, families will be separated, and some will no doubt die when they return to places they've fled because of danger. Many have lived in the US for decades, started businesses, pay taxes.

Image result for ice arrests june 23 2019

That this will happen on Sunday, the Lord's Day, will make it even more hideous. What has happened to the hearts and minds of Americans that it is acceptable to treat others as less than human? Not only will these raids occur, thousands are living in terrible conditions in immigration camps where children are taken from parents. A number of children have died in detention. Those who show compassion to the "stranger in your midst" are being prosecuted as criminals in this Kafka-esque reality.

The good news this past week was that Canada took in more refugees in 2018 than any other country in the world. Sadly, this will probably be used against the current government during the Fall election by the xenophobes in this country, either overtly or covertly.

We must pray for those who are waiting in fear for what tomorrow brings in the US, and for those who are responding to their plight, including many in communities of faith. Christ be with them.

Image result for statue of liberty cartoon

No comments: