Friday, August 30, 2019

The Importance of Grief and Hope

Image result for colbert cooper interview

13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters,
about those who have died,
so that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 

14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again,
even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have died


1 Thessalonians 4:13-14

There are so many important circumstances and subjects which arise in each day about which I could blog. I just can't get around to them all and sometimes powerful moments are lost. I've been thinking about the recent interview by CNN's Anderson Cooper of Stephen Colbert, host of the satirical Colbert Report.  The portion I watched was 10 minutes in length and it is about loss, suffering, and grief. Both of these well-known, intelligent, "together" men lost their fathers at age ten. Colbert's two older brothers died in the same 1974 plane crash that killed his father. Cooper only recently lost his mother, fashion icon Gloria Vanderbilt. 

The interview is remarkable honest, and even emotional at moments as they reflect on how the deaths of their parents while young became defining milestones in their lives. Cooper tears up as he speaks of those who have shared their grief with him since his mother died in June, even as they offer consolation, and how we are not inclined to speak about grief in our culture. 

I was touched by Colbert's reminiscences about his mother, who had a strong and sustaining Christian faith. He recalls how she prayed before a crucifix, which he now has, but she prayed through "Our Lady", Mary, the mother of Jesus, because she had lost a son. 

Whether we lose cherished people in our lives when we are young or they live a long and full life, grief is real and should be acknowledged and honoured. Grieving with hope has always been important to me, and that hope is found in the resurrected Christ. 

I would encourage you to watch the interview which is only a Google search away. 


In life, in death, in life beyond death,
    God is with us.
We are not alone.
    Thanks be to God.

Image result for in life in death in life beyond death

 New Creed Booklet illustration Gary Crawford



2 comments:

Judy said...

I have never been one to pray to or through Mary (Salvation Army upbringing, you know) but I can understand some who do, and the reference to this in your blog made me aware that it is important to allow others their spiritual and emotional crutches/faith, etc. I thought I might lose my son back in June when he suddenly had to undergo a quadruple bypass (he came out of it all well and is now a healthy man again, thanks to God and some incredible medical people both in Peterborough and Kingston !) I am not sure what I would have done if he had NOT survived that - I would have felt devastated, and I am sure I would have prayed directly to God (as I was doing all through the weeks prior to , during, and after his surgery) The loss would have been been tremendous, given that all of my immediate family (parents, siblings, and husband) have passed away, and he is my hope for the next generations, as well as my link to the past ones, whom he remembers.

David Mundy said...

That was probably the most frightening few days of your life, or certainly right up there. I'm glad that the circumstances did not lead to grief and and that God was a source of strength through it all.