Sunday, August 18, 2019

What is a Sustaining Faith, Alex?

Image result for jeopardy

I hope that Alex Trebek, the long-time host of Jeopardy has enjoyed a restorative summer. Alex was born and raised in Sudbury, where I served in ministry for eleven years. After his mother departed from the family he lived with his father in the Nickel Range Hotel, a Sudbury landmark for decades. When the building was demolished the Nickel Range Barber Shop moved into St. Andrew's Place. I figure it is my nerdy devotion to the trivia, aka wide-ranging knowledge show, that keeps me interested in the host, rather than the Sudbury connection, but it doesn't hurt.

We learned a few months ago that Trebek was undergoing chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer, one of the "oh no!" forms of the disease. He was candid and courageous in his public announcement and has remained so, admitting to losing his hair and dealing with bouts of depression that left him in tears. At the time he shared his challenging news he invited prayers on his behalf and thanked people for spiritual support along the way. I was a little disappointed that the CBC didn't mention this after he did an interview with Rosemary Barton. The national broadcaster seems to be "faith-talk averse" at times. 



Alex Trebek tells Rosemary Barton he spoke publicly about his cancer to let others living with the disease know that they're not alone. (Philip Ling/CBC News)

I'm intrigued by Alex's faith -- is it an important part of his day-to-day life? I was also fascinated to discover that when he was young he spent a summer in a Trappist monastery because he was pondering whether to seek a vocation as a priest. Back in 1974 He said in an interview for the New York Sunday News, "I took a vow not only of poverty but of silence. And I'm not one to keep my big mouth shut. I enjoy talking."  Where was the monastery? How old was he? 

Those of us who are people of faith can continue to pray for his health and well-being. Will he back for another season given his health and being 79-years-old? That is the question. 

No comments: