Friday, October 11, 2019

Mental Health Awareness and Christian Community

Image result for mental health awareness day 2019

Bear one another’s burdens, 
and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ...
So let us not grow weary in doing what is right, 
for we will reap at harvest time, if we do not give up. 
10 So then, whenever we have an opportunity, 
let us work for the good of all, 
and especially for those of the family of faith.

Galatians 6:2, 9-10

I will hold the Christ-light for you
in the night-time of your fear;
I will hold my hand out to you,

speak the peace you long to hear.

Voices United 595

A few months ago a lovely elderly woman approached me at church and struck up a conversation. I knew something of her personal story of loss but she shared more about an adult daughter who lives with her and struggles with mental health issues. Sometimes the daughter finds it a challenge to get out the door for appointments, and other basic life functions. This has an impact on the freedom of the mother, and she wonders about the future for both of them. 

My experience in ministry was that mental health and illness affected many families but people were much more willing to share openly about physical problems than compromised mental health, For all that society encourages us to move beyond the stigmas about mental illness we can talk about crippling arthritis much more readily than debilitating anxiety, as an example, and that's sad.

I also had a phone call not long ago from a man in his forties who was a teen in one of my congregations and now lives in British Columbia. I haven't heard from him in probably 25 years, but he was recalling a conversation we had about faith when he was soul-searching back then. He decided to revisit what I'd said, so he tracked me down. Fortunately his recollection was positive, so I went with it!

We also talked about his mother, a person I liked a great deal, and his grandmother, both of whom lived with bipolar illness. We chatted about what he and his sister contended with when his mom was out of touch with reality and he hadn't been aware that I knew so much about her struggles or that I had visited her in the psychiatric hospital when her circumstances were at there worst. Again, individuals of all ages often feel alone, or that they are living a secret life, whether it is the person with mental health issues or as loved ones.

Yesterday was World Mental Health Awareness Day, an important reminder than in Christian communities we can "bear one another's burdens". We choose to be compassionate and patient and to exhibit the love of Christ to all. We can pray for those whose desire is wholeness in body, mind, and spirit.

Thoughts? 

1 comment:

Braddie G said...

Hey, David, I agree with you. This is what Christian communities has taught us always to bear each other's burdens. Stress will be minimized for sure if we follow this way to achieve peace. Buy Etizolam to manage stress and mental health issues.