Saturday, December 07, 2019

God's "better you."

Image result for ymca better you

The Y in Belleville doesn't open until 7:30 on weekends but I was there just after it opened with a handful of the usual suspects. Near the end of my workout I noticed a poster which seems to be part of  a new branding program for this venerable institution. Apparently inspirational slogans will result in all of us becoming more persperational. and better persons. I pointed the poster out to a regular and we agreed that we're in the maintenance, maintenance, maintenance mode of the current "you" without a whole lot of thought to the future.

Of course this got me thinking about Advent -- "what?", you say. Advent is about waiting, expectant, anticipatory, hopeful waiting. More than ever it's a time to be counter-cultural, so rather than striving and huffing and puffing to the mall or the gym we participate in God's unfolding promise in Christ.

I actually believe in working toward a better world and maybe even a healthier me in body, mind and spirit. At the same time I want to be grounded in what God is doing gloriously, all around us, if we're willing to humbly pay attention.

I will be back at the gym in a couple of day, God willing, and who knows, there may be yet another inspirational poster up. I'll also be looking for the "signs of the times" as I go about my everyday living as a person of the Christ we anticipate on the road to Christmas.

Image


No comments: