Friday, December 13, 2019

Goodbye and Farewell to Andrew Scheer

Image result for andrew scheer announcement

I've made no secret of how unimpressed I am by Andrew Scheer as the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, and as a person. His weak showing in the election campaign led to the defeat of his party when it seemed victory was a real possibility. I also found his unwillingness to answer even basic questions about his personal issues and sneakiness about his past to be unworthy of my trust. 

This said, I appreciate that public life is not easy and places huge demands on families. Scheer has served as a Member of Parliament and Leader of the Opposition for nearly 15 years which is impressive for a forty-year-old.

 I must add that I appreciate those who will hold to their religious convictions even when they are unpopular and result in criticism. I've been there, scolded to my face by some and disparaged behind my back by others, although usually for convictions at the other end of the spectrum from those of Mr. Scheer. 

I do think that it's unfortunate, to say the least, that Scheer stubbornly held to views on LGBTQ issues and abortion  as matters of faith (Roman Catholic faith), while ignoring other clear biblical teaching. He was cagey about the former but bold about the latter. His views on welcoming the stranger -- or not welcoming the stranger -- and supporting  the vulnerable of society, and caring for Creation are all in contravention of biblical outlooks and the statements of Jesus. 

We have now discovered that "Mr. Every Guy" who looks out for the middle class folk looking to get ahead has readily used donations from those same people to pay for private schooling for his children. And once again he has been disingenuous about why he leaving as party leader. This revelation further sullied an already battered reputation. 

 I hope that the Conservative Party will prayerfully ask how the word "Progressive" can be restored to its title and ethos. Conservative parties generally believe in small government which doesn't micro-manage the lives of individuals. They can also govern in ways which uphold the rights, freedoms, and prosperity of all people, not just the privileged few. 

And we need honesty and integrity from all our political leaders and parties, a failure of the Liberals as well, and a significant part of the reason they nearly lost in October. 

Perhaps Andrew Scheer will spend more time with his family, and take the opportunity to reflect on what it means to be a Christian in the broadest sense and for the benefit of all Canadians. 

3 comments:

Judy said...

That is a grand hope - and I am with you in that - but I am not holding my breath.Politicians everywhere seem to be "on the take" for themselves and their rich cronies and care nothing for "the people".

roger said...

Wait for it...."Doug Ford, leader of the Federal Conservatives". God help us.

David Mundy said...

I think Ford knows better after being treated as though he had the plague during the federal election. I do think the Conservatives will move toward the centre with a new leader. My breath will not be held, just the same.