Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Next Steps for Medical Assistance in Dying?

Image result for medical assistance in dying ontario

Yesterday was the deadline (no macabre pun intended) for Canadians to respond to the Medical Assistance in Dying Questionnaire created by the federal Department of Justice. It appears that there were nearly a quarter million responses, a total far exceeding any other public response questionnaire offered to Canadians.

Two Sundays ago I led an information session and discussion at our church, Trenton United, following worship and I was impressed by the number of people who attended and the conversation which ensued. When I filled out the online questionnaire I was disappointed by its brevity and the lack of straightforward resources to help respondents make informed comments. I named this concern to my Member of Parliament, Neil Ellis, and to his credit I received a helpful response. I also suggested that a two-week time frame wasn't nearly long enough to gather those who might be interested in group discussion before filling out the questionnaire. 

The issues of providing MAID to those with mental illness, to those younger than 18 weren't really addressed. Certainly the subject of an Advanced Directive and the waiting period were at the forefront of the discussion at Trenton UC, but those other areas are also very important. 

It does seem that the hurry for the DOJ comes from the Superior Court decision in Quebec. We've just learned that there have been revisions to that courts original ruling, so we'll see what's next. 

Here is my email to Neil Ellis, for what it's worth. 

Hello Mr. Ellis,

You may recall that in May 2016 Bridge St. United Church in Belleville hosted what proved to a well-attended and informative conversation with MP Rob Oliphant, who co-chaired the joint committee which made recommendations to the federal government regarding Medical Assistance in Dying. Rob was engaging, clear, and helpful to the approximately 125 people who showed up that Friday evening. Many of those present spoke about their desire for a provision of advanced directives prior to mental incapacity. which would exclude them from MAID. 

I was the minister of Bridge St. at the time and initiated this event, as well as moderating it. I have maintained a strong interest in MAID since it was legislated into existence in June 2016.

I have responded to the MAID questionnaire currently available as part of a public consultation and I have strong concerns about its brevity and therefore its value. It's as though we've been invited to look through a telescope from the wrong end.

We are given no information about whether there has been the increased provision of palliative care which was at least implied at the time the legislation was introduced. Nor are we provided with any information about the demographic realities of MAID in terms of provision in rural and remote areas during the 3 1/2 years since it's introduction. In my response I asked what unique safeguards would be provided for those who are seeking advanced directives, given their heightened vulnerability. Surely this should have been framed as a question?

I am concerned that the time-frame for this supposed consultation is so brief, and that there is no provision for groups of people to discuss this important topic in an informed manner.  This past Sunday I facilitated a discussion in the United Church congregation I now attend in retirement and discovered that the participants wanted to be better informed and to engage in discussion before responding to the questionnaire. 

Just to be clear, I support the provision of MAID, although with strong precautionary concerns in a number of areas. At the same time I am convinced that this is both an ethical and spiritual issue. Yet it appears to have become primarily a legal issue and one driven by somewhat arbitrary deadlines. 

What has been provided in this unsatisfactory process feeds the "slippery slope" concerns of many. I feel that the federal government must do better in helping all Canadians make informed decisions.

Sincerely, 

Rev. David Mundy

No comments: