Saturday, April 30, 2022

Nympha & Women in Church Leadership

  


Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas greet you. Give my greetings to the brothers and sisters in Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house. 

                                      Colossians 4: 14-15

I have written about the apostle Paul's greeting to a number of women in the book of the New Testament we call Romans. In chapter 16 he gives a shout-out to several women, including Junia. Because it seems that Junia is identified as an apostle her gender was changed to male in various translations through the centuries, although in the New Revised Standard Version she's allowed to be female again. 

I've known about Junia for decades but I'll confess here that I had totally missed a similar kerfuffle about another woman named Nympha who is greeted in Colossians. When Nympha was masculinized she was described by scholars as a person of importance in her congregation, with a role in hosting worship. Yet, once again, Paul seems to be regarding a woman as worthy and commendable for a leadership position in the early church. What we find in this one verse is really all we know about her existence. 

I won't claim to have a comprehensive knowledge of scripture by any stretch, but I tend to know more than the average bear. I am a little surprised that I had never heard of Nympha until a few days ago -- how did I miss her through the years? 

There are still males who lose their...composure at the thought of women in these roles, but too bad. If women were respected as leaders by Paul, why are so many intent on relegating women to "complementary" roles in today's church? 

I do love this response by Susan Harris Howell to one of the misogynists for Jesus which I happened upon this morning: 

I think this weekend I'll malfunction a little then destroy a civilization. Oh Puh-lease.




2 comments:

Judy said...

Well, now I want to pore over all of those New Testament letters with a fine tooth comb....and I cannot believe any one would be so foolish as to publicly post a mysoginist message like the one shown here ! Holy Cow ! It is 2022 ! And men are the ones historically who have created chaos in the world, starting wars....

David Mundy said...

We live and we learn Judy! I'm hoping that I'm an old dog who can continue to learn new scripture references. There are 16 acknowledgement of women by Paul in different letters, most offered with gratitude and affection.