Monday, May 02, 2022

Justin Welby & an Anglican Apology

                            Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby and Indigenous Representatives 

 When a delegation of Indigneous representatives made the journey to the Vatican some asked why it wasn't the other way around, given that the harm of Residential Schools was perpetrated by the Roman Catholic Church. At the end of the week of meetings with Pope Francis an apology was made, although a qualified one, it seemed. Francis promised a trip to Canada to apologize in several venues, which is only right.

Did you notice over the weekend that the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, was in Canada to apologize on behalf of the world-wide Anglican communion? Along the way the Anglican Church in Canada has accepted responsibility for its role in the Residential School tragedy, as have other denominations, including the United Church of Canada.  Welby's presence is significant just the same, and his apologies over the weekend in different settings, including from the pulpit on Sunday, seemed heart-felt and thoughtful. He visited James Smith Cree Nation, east of Prince Albert, and the CBC reported about this opportunity for Welby listen and to express remorse on behalf of the church:

"I want to recognize, for myself and my colleagues, the level of pain that you are willing to undergo, so that your story is heard," Welby said. 

"I will say that I come in ignorance, needing to hear each and every shame, needing to signify that shame, and respect those on whom such terrible injustices were committed."

Survivors from all over Saskatchewan shared their stories about how the residential school system ripped families apart, raised self-doubt and self-confidence issues and left them with traumas as a result of sexual and physical abuse. Many spoke about how they didn't blame the church, but those acting on behalf of the church.

After listening to their stories, Welby offered his apology. 

"The grace that you have shown in saying it was not the church that did this — I suppose it is an extraordinary grace. I suppose I want to say that that's perhaps the only thing I question. That it was not the church that did it. But it was the church that permitted it. That allowed it. That turned a blind eye to it. And still does, sometimes," Welby said. 

"And for that terrible crime, sin, evil of deliberating consciously stupidly — because evil is stupid. Building hell and putting children into it. And staffing it. I am more sorry than I could ever ever begin to express.... I am sorry. I am more sorry than I could say. I'm ashamed. I am horrified."

Welby acknowledged it wouldn't be easy for survivors to speak at the event, and that recounting their experiences may be painful to share.

None of the apologies offered by Christian denominations will be sufficient to address the harm done, the loss of culture, and family connections, and life. In this instance there were many who felt that they weren't sufficiently informed about what would be unfolding so that they could be present. I did hear an elderly Indigenous man who was present express his sense of vindication and freedom which came from hearing Welby's words. 



No comments: