Monday, August 22, 2022

Pedalling for a Better World


 A couple of months ago my bicycle, a nice Masi which I've owned for several years, was stolen from our garage. Yes, it should have been locked, but we all have our slips in attention. I reported it to police and to the two bicycle shops downtown in Belleville I've dealt with through the years. I reconciled myself to the gloomy reality that it was gone and talked to both shops about a new one -- a pricey replacement. The same day I did so I got a call from one of the owners; "we've got your bike here." What?! I went down and sure enough, there was my bicycle, stripped of some it's higher end parts, but definitely mine. The owner was looking out his shop window and saw it go by. He popped out with another employee and saw the rider stop at another store. When they calmly approached him about ownership he simply walked away. Just so you're aware, this sort of recovery basically never happens. 

We aren't hardcore cyclists but we regularly cycle for exercise, for recreation, and for some errands. We often ride to the farmers market downtown on a Saturday morning to combine all three. I ride to the gym because why would I sit on a stationary bike in a windowless room?  

We were just in Algonquin Park for a week and took our bicycles and our kayaks. We had a couple of lovely paddles yet we saw moose twice while cycling the rail trail. We had to turn back on a section of the trail because a cow and calf were right in front of us and we agreed they had the right of way. 

The chart above is a reminder that cycling is one of the most efficient ways of getting around. Study after study shows that creating cycling infrastructure increases ridership even in colder climes. In places such as Toronto bike lanes are regularly strongly resisted, often with the argument they won't be used, only to have that premise proven wrong. Cities where cycling is the norm see businesses thrive -- a bicycle is a lot easier to park. 

As some of you know, I figure that communities must look at every option to encourage healthy living and address climate change. It must be a Christian imperative as well because "this is God's wondrous world" and we have been instructed to honour and tend the Earth. I'm keen to shift to an electric vehicle when I can afford one, but reducing the number of vehicles on the road regardless of power source is important. I like that there are more options such as e-bikes, which are power assisted, and cargo bikes. Yes, Canada is a big country compared to the Netherlands and Denmark where cycling is a way of life but we are increasingly urban people who don't need to get in a vehicle for every task. One of our neighbours (good guy) drives his big diesel pick-up a couple of kilometres to work each day. Why? 

Will we figure this out in time to benefit our super-heated planet? I'm reluctant to diss the efforts of our Belleville city council but there doesn't seem much rhyme or reason to our bicycle infrastructure, with lanes to nowhere and sections which are actually a hazard to ride. And don't get me started about the vehicles parked in lanes. 

Even though we are moving into geezer status we can pedal for a better world, the world God created and we can cherish. Oh yes, I was on two wheels along the Belleville waterfront this morning and managed to get home before the rain commenced. 



2 comments:

roger said...

Good comments, and I'll add one more(which I've mentioned before on this blog): If the millions of people who let their cars idle for half an hour each winter morning could cease and desist, that would also be hugely helpful in the battle against climate change. Not only is this needless idling bad for the environment, it's not even good for your car....and you're getting zero miles per gallon(or sky high litres per 100 km). Thirty seconds of idling, and drive off slowly for a few minutes.

David Mundy said...

Yes Roger, and unfortunately many people idle their vehicles in the summer as well to keep the air-conditioning going.