Saturday, August 06, 2022

Quiet Times and...Quiet Time

 


In an earlier time in my faith life there was an encouragement for Christians to include a daily "Quiet Time" of prayer, scripture reflection, and devotional reading. For years I endeavoured to do so, even when I served very busy pastorates. It was often when I first arrived at my study in various churches, or in a few minutes of contemplation as I walked to work or perhaps in the woods. The hope was that God would be able to get a word in edgewise if we made space in the quiet for a conversation. I also took retreat time as part of continuing education through the years, often at convents and monasteries which observed silence as a spiritual discipline.

I was interested to come across a bulletin called Quiet Times which addresses a range of issues related to noise, quiet, and creating a livable soundscape. There are articles about quiet appliances and acoustical choices for our homes. There are maps of noise pollution in big cities and a piece on the merits of a green wall for noise abatement. There is a piece on Hampstead Heath Urban Quiet Park in th UK which became the first Urban Quiet Park in Europe. Field recordist, Nicholas Allan, describes Hampstead Heath as “wild” and “natural” with  “plenty of opportunities to find refuge from city noise.” 

I may have missed any articles about the value of quiet in the quest for spiritual wellbeing. If we can consider the merits of a quiet fridge, why not a quiet spirit? Most religious traditions view opportunities for contemplation and prayer in the quiet as important, if not essential. 

There is some irony that when this blog entry is posted I'll be in Alqonquin Park to lead the Sunday morning Cathedral of the Trees worship service. I've included moments for quiet in the service, which takes place at the outdoor theatre. The campground is usually noisy though, not really our first choice for outdoor living. Say a prayer that we find some solitude during the days we'll be there!




No comments: