Thursday, December 15, 2022

Saving "Our Lady"?

 


Mary’s Song of Praise

And Mary said,

“My soul magnifies the Lord,
     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
 for he has looked with favor on the lowly state of his servant.
    Surely from now on all generations will call me blessed,
 for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
    and holy is his name;
 indeed, his mercy is for those who fear him

    from generation to generation.

 

Luke 1:46-50 NRSVue

Last night I watched a PBS Nova episode called Saving Notre Dame. As the name states it is about restoring the massive cathedral in the heart of Paris, France. The word "iconic" is overused but if ever it could be applied legitimately it would be for this structure which dominates the skyline and is a place of legend. The first time I entered Notre Dame I was a 19-year-old backpacker and I attended a concert with thousands of people around me. The last time I was there was roughly twenty years ago and I stayed in a tiny little room in the nearby Esmeralda Hotel.

The fire in April of 2019 -- approaching four years ago -- was so extensive and destructive that it was questionable whether it could be saved, let alone restored by the time the Summer Olympics take place in Paris in 2024. 

I continue to be ambivalent about this project, given the enormous cost which is estimated at 1.2 Canadian dollars but will likely be higher. The irony of this expenditure to restore an edifice dedicated to Mary, the peasant mother of Jesus who gave birth to her child in humble circumstances, shouldn't be lost on us. How many lives of mothers and children starving in Somalia could be saved with such an enormous sum? 

I also struggle with the "harvesting" of two thousand oak trees which will be fashioned into a nearly identical roof structure to what was called, ironically, "the forest" of centuries-old beams. It was fortuitous -- providential? -- that an architectural research project meticulously documented every aspect of the superstructure a decade or so before the fire which will allow precise replication.

It is fascinating to hear about and see the forensic work to establish which of the magnificent stained glass windows date to the 13th century. Some glass will be replaced and there is one workshop in all of France where it can be hand-blown with the same chemical composition as the original. The dance between traditional crafts and the best of modern science and technology is something to behold. 

Because the fire melted the lead roofing tiles there is toxic dust on virtually every surface so it is being painstakingly vacuumed and brushed away. When this process is done the limestone walls and columns will be cleaned and once again be gleaming white. I recall being stuck behind a massive column during the concert nearly 50 years ago, not thinking that the dark patina on the stone had been deposited from the burning of hundreds of thousands of candles over time. 

I'm grateful that no one has sought out my opinion about the morality of restoring Notre Dame. Nor have they asked my thoughts about the hideous waste of hundreds of billions spent on the hideous war in Ukraine, including what will be more than a billion in necessary support from Canada for the beleaguered nation. 

I have no doubt the completed restoration will be astonishing, although I'm reasonably sure I'll never walk through Notre Dame's doors again. One day tourists will return and worship services will welcome visitors again. I hope that there will be a sense of reverence and acknowledgement of "Our Lady", Mary, mother of Jesus, the Christ in the midst of the awe and wonder over human accomplishments.  

 He has shown strength with his arm;

    he has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.

He has brought down the powerful from their thrones

    and lifted up the lowly;
 he has filled the hungry with good things
    and sent the rich away empty.

Luke 1:51-53  NRSVue


I'm mashing up Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany as I ponder the wonder of dark skies in today's Groundling blog groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.com/2022/12/advent




2 comments:

kb said...

I have no answers for your questions and the issues you raise but as always they were thought provoking!
My thoughts are these: The destruction of the church was seen across the world on TV and internet with horror. The money for the restoration of this national treasure has been given by donations from wealthy individuals heading corporations in France, plus many smaller funds specifically set up there and internationally towards the work of restoration. The destruction of the church really struck a chord with many people(millions have see it with France being the No. 1 tourist destination in the world) and they wanted to be part of fixing it. With the end date of 2024 most people who donate will live to see the results. That Mary was a humble peasant girl--well look at the shrines built in her honour with her name with the premise of the bigger and grander, the more honour to Mary. (Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal comes to mind). As for the money spent on Ukraine --some say the war could have been prevented.I would love to turn back the clock on the agreements, treaties, breaking of treaties and national ambitions that led to it. But we were faced with a "fait accompli" of invasion and the human toll it was taking and we've responded to the tragedy. Thanks for posing the questions, David. KB

David Mundy said...

Thank you for responding to the questions I raised Kathy. I'm glad that they stimulated thought for you and I appreciate the observations you've made. Not only do you point out that Mary has been venerated in many places and times, despite her simplicity, the same could be said for her peasant child, Jesus. We're a curious species! There is no ready answer yet I can say that our shared culture would be diminished if Notre Dame was to disappear.