Tuesday, December 20, 2022

The King, another Ruler, & the Refugee Christ

                                                                               Malcolm Guite 

Now after [the Magi] had left, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Get up, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.” 

Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother by night, and went to Egypt  and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet, “Out of Egypt I have called my son.”

                                                      Matthew 2:13-15 NRSVue

I haven't got accustomed to saying King Charles, the III or otherwise. And I may never sing God Save the King for a bunch of reasons. His insights and efforts regarding the environment are far outweighed by being a common cad, an opinion I formed well before The Crown.

Just the same, I hope it's true that Charles requested that the poem Refugee, (below) by Malcolm Guite, be read at a carol service this year. Guite is an Anglican priest who writes thoughtful poems and sings as well. His appearance speaks of the aftermath of a serious collision between Father Christmas and Hagrid, of Harry Potter fame. Whenever I read quotes or interviews with Guite I come away thinking he would be a thoroughly entertaining person to be around.

To top off  the story of the royal request, it is supposedly Kristin Scott Thomas who is to read it. She is a wonderful actor with a fine voice and she would be a perfect choice. 

Strictly speaking, Refugee is an Epiphany Sonnet, alluding to the flight to Egypt after the Magi have come and gone, but no need to quibble. When the Christmas flurry has come and gone Jesus the Christ is with a million displaced people on the long road of weariness and want and we can join him in compassion and justice. 


Praise God, Water, Ice, & Vapour! Could we supplement our recognition of the Trinity with this imagery? My Groundling blog today groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.com/2022/12/praise


4 comments:

kb said...

Good for King Charles for wanting this perspective on the birth of Christ to be heard. And thank you for reproducing it here. KB

David Mundy said...

I do agree that it was an excellent choice, Kathy. I may need to upgrade Charles from Common Cad to Royal Cad. Thanks.

Judy said...

I am wondering why we are not hearing more from the new king... a lot of press is being given to the royal females and their works, but this is the first public thing I have seen about Charles

David Mundy said...

You have a point, Judy, but I'm leaning toward the less heard the better!