Friday, February 24, 2023

When the Winds of Winter Blow on Ash Wednesday

 

                                                           Snowball Fight -- Skogur Hlutur

When the wind of winter blows bringing times of solitude,

Fill the silent icy night; be our hearts compassion.

Holy light, warm our night;
Warm the time of winter.

Holy light, warm our night;
Warm the time of winter.

More Voices 71 "When the Wind of Winter Blows" 

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
 Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.
 Hide your face from my sins,
    and blot out all my iniquities.


Create in me a clean heart, O God,

    and put a new and right spirit within me.
 Do not cast me away from your presence,
    and do not take your holy spirit from me.
 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and sustain in me a willing spirit.

Psalm 51: 7-12 NRSVue

We watched the weather forecast closely on Wednesday, questioning the wisdom of making the half-hour drive to Trenton for the Ash Wednesday service. We sallied forth and while it was blustery on the return trip the snow didn't start in earnest until later in the evening, so it was a good decision. There weren't many of us there but the service was a creative and thoughtful way in enter the Lenten season.

As coincidence or providence would have it, Rev. Isaac chose a hymn which was new to us from the Confession, Lent, and Healing section of the More Voices hymn resource which used the metaphor of the swirling winds of winter. While he decided on the gospel passage from Matthew as our scripture passage the Ash Wednesday psalm each year is 51 in which the contrite King David acknowledges his grievous failings. It includes the phrase "wash me whiter than snow" a form of precipitation which would have been rare, even though Jerusalem is a relatively high place. 

The next morning we worked diligently to clean out our driveway and walks but it really was quite beautiful. After school the kids from our court were on the mountain of snow created in the centre by the plough. 

I do appreciate that while the psalmist captures the recognition by David of his deceit and sin there is also an emphasis on restoration, forgiveness -- even joy. 

Holy snowball fight anyone? 

When we shiver in despair, when the chill of death comes near
hold us Spirit, calm our fear, when the evening deepens. 

 When in days of fallen snow, change confounds or love burns low
from the ashes may there rise phoenix of our growing. 

Holy light, warm our night;
Warm the time of winter.

Holy light, warm our night;
Warm the time of winter.

On this grim anniversary of the Russian invasion of Ukraine I've posted some images of paintings by Ukrainian/Canadian artist, William Kurelek. My first Groundling blog post of 2023! groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.com/2023/02/ukrain


                                                     Snow on Bittersweet -- photo by Ruth Mundy


No comments: