Saturday, February 25, 2023

The Language of Hospitality

Former Sudbury city councillor Terry Kett, right, brought volunteers together to help teach English to newcomers from Ukraine, like Olexander Radthuk. (Angela Gemmill/Sudbury)

...for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you or naked and gave you clothing?  And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’  And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did it to me.’

                                               Matthew 25:35-40 NRSVue

When I began ministry at St. Andrew's United Church in downtown Sudbury in 1988 the Anglican congregation of the Church of the Epiphany was meeting for worship in our sanctuary, immediately before our service. To be honest, it wasn't all that convenient but their building next door had been destroyed by fire the year before and St. A's extended this hospitality. There is a large Celtic cross at the front of the St. Andrew's worship space which was their gift to us for hosting them. When they asked about a gift, that's what I suggested. I then convinced our board that this was appropriate and a talented woodworker in our congregation created it. 

We maintained a cordial relationship once they moved home and their congregation eventually participated in the meal ministry we began in our building. Their priest took a turn during our Lenten service series and we even shared an Easter Vigil for a time. 

 I was pleased to see recently that the Church of the Epiphany is providing space for English as a Second Language classes for Ukrainian refugees and immigrants. Approximately 200 Ukrainians have found their way to the Sudbury area in the past year. A fair number speak no English while others have only a rudimentary understanding.

I appreciate the regular reminders of the kindness of congregations in providing various forms of sanctuary and welcome in the midst of the harsh realities of our world. When so many congregations holding on by the skin of their teeth it's heartening that lots are still listening to the voice of the Saviour and speaking the language of practical hospitality.  





No comments: