Tuesday, May 30, 2023

A Butterfly, a Lawn Sign, & Respect in Creation


                                                             Backyard Yellow Tiger Swallowtail

 We have a good friend of a similar vintage who heads out the front door for a walk each morning and goes equipped with a bag to pick up the litter of his suburban neighbourhood. Sadly, there is no shortage of ammunition and the bag is often filled to overflowing. I admire his dedication and sometimes send him articles about others who do the same, often kids. The carelessness and disregard of so many sticks in his craw, though, and I've suggested that he find other routes as well as balance, perhaps in conservation areas which won't "harsh his mellow", as the old saying goes -- does he need a marsh to be mellow? 

This is our challenge, don't you think? As a concerned Groundling who wants to "live with respect in Creation" I write regularly about the mess we're making of the planet as humans. I even describe it as a sin from time to time. We've done our fair share of trash-bashing ourselves, as I write there is laundry on the backyard clothesline, and the neighbours are probably rolling their eyes at yet another sign on our lawn. This sign was provided by our congregation, Trenton United, I'm pleased to note. 

It's hard not to be overwhelmed by the state of things, or to be infuriated by ignorant politicians (are you listening Dougie?) yet it's also essential to give thanks for the beauty and diversity around us.

Early this morning we were on the Bay of Quinte in our kayaks and saw ospreys and herons, snapping turtles and water snakes. On arriving home I tackled cutting the grass and paused to take a photo of a yellow tiger swallowtail butterfly along our fence, the first of 2023. The dogwood is native shrub we planted several years ago and while it put on height it only managed a few blossoms. This year, zowie! And it is covered in bees, those pollinators we're threatening by removing habitat. These experiences lifted my spirit and made me grateful for God's gifts in the natural world, of which I'm part. 

I want to sustain a sense of wonder and joy in the midst of the troubling news about a climate and biodiversity catastrophe. Yes we need to be yelling "fire!" and "flood!" because that's what is unfolding all around us. I just won't live in despair, either for myself or the grandchildren I adore, because I'm called by the Creator to something better.  


                                                                 Flowering Pagoda Dogwood 

2 comments:

roger said...

Great blog, David. In particular, I appreciate your final sentence. I, too, am in awe when I experience nature and the peace and quiet of being out on the kayak. I feel my blood pressure rise when I see litter on the ground or in the water. From the amount of litter we all see, it tells me there are many who just don't care - and this can be very disheartening. It's an effort to not let this "harsh my mellow".

David Mundy said...

Keep that blood pressure regulated Roger! I agree that it's a challenge to find the right balance between grateful wonder and righteous indignation.