Monday, May 22, 2023

Awe, Wonder, & God, Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer


1 Teach me, God, to wonder, teach me, God, to see;

let your world of beauty capture me.

Praise to you be given, love for you be lived,

life be celebrated, joy you give.

                                       Voice United 299

A couple of weekends ago two of our grandchildren came for a sleepover. The younger, who is pushing eight years old, told Ruth in advance that she wanted to see turtles and to go out in the canoe. As you might imagine, this was music to Grandpa's ears. 

We began with an evening amble along a marsh boardwalk north of the city and we hit the turtle motherload. A large snapper was immediately alongside the boardwalk and even poked its head out of the water in what felt like an "I-thou" moment with the grandchild who wanted a turtle encounter.

The next morning we were on the Moira River and travelled up to the entrance of a maple swamp which is only traversible for a couple of weeks in the Spring We paddled amidst the giants before returning to the river and up to the noisy rapids. There we could see the eagle's nest and a white head above the huge pile of sticks. 

Even though both of them have plenty of opportunity to enjoy more urban adventures, including a junket for the Harry Potter musical, they were excited by every new discovery during these two outings. 

Is this awe? Is this wonder? It was for me, both in terms of what we were seeing and in witnessing their delight.

You might remember a blog about a recently published book called Awe: The Transformative Power of Everyday Wonder by Dacher Keltner.I'm reading the book now and it's fascinating. Keltner is a scientist but he explores the ways in which art, music,nature, religion and even death can be awe-inspiring. He reminds us that Charles Darwin,once considered the nemesis of Christianity and an atheist, had a deep sense of wonder which informed his world-changing work. His wife was a life-long devout Christian. 

I want to underline insight after insight in the book but they take a dim view of this at the library. Of course, for me art, music, nature, and religion are interwoven, all aspects of Creator and Creation which make worth living. My resurrection hope isn't just a future promise but reflected in a myriad moments in this life.

A couple of days ago I heard the buzz of hummingbird wings at the feeder just over my shoulder on the deck -- a blessed sound. It then moved to the blossoms on a vine not more than a metre and a half away. I was spellbound and filled with gratitude for such a simple, fleeting moment. And, yup, I felt awe and wonder, thanks be to God, Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer. 

1 O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder

consider all the works thy hand hath made,

I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder,

thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to thee,

How great thou art! How great thou art!

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to thee,

How great thou art! How great thou art!


2 When through the woods and forest glades I wander,

I hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;

when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur

and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze.  R


3 But when I think that God, his Son not sparing,

sent him to die, I scarce can take it in,

that on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,

he bled and died to take away my sin.  R


4 When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation

and take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!

Then I shall bow in humble adoration

and there proclaim, 'My God, how great thou art!'  R

Voices United 238



2 comments:

roger said...

I really do enjoy encounters with all sorts of creatures. We have quite a large property with no shortage of snakes and toads. In fact, one of them slithered inside a large, heavy duty chain that was coiled up on the ground. Great hiding spot, except it kept sticking it's little head out to see if I was still there. Last week, I carried a turtle across the street. And there have been sightings of a lynx in the area. Cool!

Whether it's the robin's nest above our front door(we ensure we only use our side door for now), the eagles constantly flying over or the deer eating our grass(and soon, our veggies), I feel a sense of inner peace and joy when I see and hear these critters.

David Mundy said...

Encountering creatures never gets old, even if we do. Thanks for sharing notes from your "ark" Roger.