Sunday, September 10, 2023

Cursive Writing, Blessing or...Curse?

 

Cursive writing is returning to Ontario classrooms and it's remarkable that this is newsworthy. Yet in many schools handwriting hasn't been taught for years, and some parents are annoyed by the announcement, concerned that may be one more educational burden for kids who are already struggling to catch up after COVID. I read an opinion piece by a parent of three who was initially opposed but has changed her mind, in part because learning to write and to draw has demonstrated to improve cognitive ability. 

Christians are often described as People of the Book, as are Jews and Muslims, meaning that we have written texts which are an important aspect of our faith. Our New Testament "biblios" (bible, book) is actually twenty-seven of them, many of which are letters first circulated to different Christian communities. The apostle Paul wrote a number of these letters although he probably dictated them to an amanuensis or scribe. One of them inserts himself into the text at the end of the letter to the Romans: "I Tertius, the writer of this letter, commend you in the Lord." (16:22)

Whatever the process, the letters we now regard as scipture were first written down, using parchment and ink, in what was likely cursive lettering. We don't have those original letters but they were passed down, hand-written, generation upon generation. I've noted along the way that some have suggested Martin Luther King's powerful cursive "Letter from Birmingham Jail" of 1963 should be regarded as an inspired epistle to be included with the New Testament letters. 

Our scribblings may not achieve this status, but what will happen as generations to come attempt to understand their forebears if there is no written record ? At the moment Ruth and some of her senior citizen siblings are transcribing the journals of their late mother, labouring to decipher her miniscule writing. These include her experiences as a young woman during World War II, including meeting their father, a handsome Canadian soldier. They have been charmed and at times surprised by what a bon vivant she was in her youth eager to go to dances and the cinema with friends. 

This evening I'll write in my daily journal, employing my quirky cursive hand, as I've done almost with fail for the past 38 years. I don't want anyone to read my journal entries when I'm gone, but I find the discipline of reflecting on my day, including my faith experiences, is important and now vital to who I am. 

You may be cursing my musings about cursive by this point, so I'll sign off for now. I may go look for my calligraphy set!


                                           Letter from Birmingham Jail -- Martin Luther King Jr., 1963


1 comment:

Judy said...

I was never a good writer in elementary school ... I routinely got a C grade in cursive writing . In high school, I practised a lot, trying to emulate some of my friends, who had beautiful handwriting ... and it paid off, as I had to use this skill in my teaching career (at the high school level) - a LOT !

I recently prepared a cook book for my 7 grandchildren, at the request of my oldest granddaughter, and some of the "favourite" recipes were in cursive writing. I was surprised to learn that my Whitby Grandkids could not read cursive writing, at all - I should not have been shocked, but I was ! I don't know how they will manage to read the cook book, but I am sure they will find soomeone to translate, if they really want to use the recipes !