Thursday, April 25, 2024

Finding our Way in Grief

 


A couple of months ago our son, Isaac, pastor of Trenton United Church, asked if I would lead a session or sessions on grief. I wasn't sure if I was the right person to ask. Yes, I have experienced loss and sorrow on a personal level. And in my role as a UCC minister for nearly four decades I presided at somewhere between 450 funerals and memorial services, everyone from preemie babies to centenarians. Many of those occasions  were for people I knew well, along with members of their families. I have certainly seen grief in many manfestations, everything from stoicism to emotional expression of biblical proportions.

 While I did lots of "celebrations of life" I was always mindful that grief is real and must be acknowledged and that the service is just one aspect of the process of mourning and grieving. I always wanted to uphold our resurrection hope in Christ but not at the expense of denying the profound sense of loss.

Preparing has taken me on an interesting path and the resources that have come my way have been downright providential. 

We begin three sessions this evening and here is the outline we've shared, for what it's worth. I'll see who shows up!

Finding Our Way in Grief – Study and Discussion Group

Is it okay for Christians to grieve, given our Easter hope? Of course it is!

We all feel loss, regardless of our age, our circumstances, and our religious convictions.

Join us for three Thursday evening sessions (6:30 - 8:00) to explore and discuss together how we grapple with grief.

Week 1 – April 25 – You Are Not Alone – grief is unique for each person, there are no universal expectations nor clearly defined stages. Our grief often comes back to visit, unbidden.

So how do we navigate our personal losses in ways which allow us to move forward, realizing that "one size does not fit all?"

Week 2 May 2 – We Are Not Alone – the ways in which our society grieves collectively are changing, rapidly.

What does that mean for our communities of faith, once the focal point for grieving together? How do we mourn the loss of our congregational friends?

Week 3 May 9 – The End Comes For Everyone – we will engage in dialogue with local funeral directors about the practicalities of funerals, memorials services, and the growing number of alternatives for farewell and burial.

Join us for these sessions and maybe bring along someone who is finding his or her way in grief.



2 comments:

Laurie said...

To bad it is far away, I am very interested in learning the ways through grief. Having a hard time with it.
Hope you get a good turnout.

David Mundy said...

It was a meaningful first session< Laurie, and well attended. For some their loss wss recent and raw. We listened to a portion of the CBC radio Good Grief special broadcast from Good Friday. I aslo introduced the group to the book You are Not Alone: a new way to grieve by Cariad Lloyd.