Wednesday, April 24, 2024

World Good Book Day?

 


Yesterday was World Book Day, an opportunity for bibliophiles everywhere to celebrate the everyday miracle of the printed and now spoken word. Books come in so many forms, including audio and Braille for those who are vision-impaired. I'll admit to having a large print edition show up as a library request and enjoying the format in my dotage. I am still an avid reader despite of actual books despite my screen addled brain. I enjoy fiction and non-fiction from different cultures. We're happy that our four grandchildren get lost in books with pages that turn. 

That term "bibliophile" to describe book lovers sounds a lot like "bible" and the root for both is the Greek "biblio." The Christian bible is actually 66 books in the two testaments and the apocrypha adds some more. Often described as the Good Book the bible is a magnificent jumble of myth, history, prophecy, liturgical resources, poetry, historical accounts, letters, apocalyptic writings, and what we call gospels. 

There are plenty of critics who would take away the term "magnificent" and condemn it as a big mess during more harm than good, and we can understand why. Some Christian communities claim they take a literal approach to the bible which usually means that they figure everybody should adhere to their interpretation. Too often scripture is used as a weapon rather than an invitation to the wild and wonderful world of God's steadfast love through time. 

Not long ago a family member attempted to use the genocidal final scene from the book of Esther as a justification for Israel's aggression in Gaza and we were aghast. Esther is a small book in the Hebrew scriptures that doesn't mention God once, nor the covenant, nor does the story take place in Israel. This sort of proof-texting dishonours God and the gospel of Jesus Christ. Using the bible or any religious text to justify violence or marginalize others is sinful and shameful.  

Just the same, the bible is the Good Book for me, and I continue to learn and grow as I explore this sweeping collection. Is it inspired by God? I would say an emphatic "yes" and I want to continue to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to my heart and mind as I humbly open the Word on my own and with others. 




No comments: