Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Good Without God?



June Callwood, a truly great Canadian, died on the weekend. Last night a candlelight walk made it's way through Toronto between Casey House and Jessie's Centre, two of the places of refuge she helped to establish. Thousands of vulnerable people benefitted from Callwood's compassion and determination. The two thousand who walked with candles in hand bear testimony to her light in the world.

June Callwood didn't believe in God, or an afterlife. This life is our opportunity as far as she was concerned. In this season of resurrection for the Christian church we can wonder if it is possible to be good without God. I think we realize that there are many good people who live by their own lights rather than the light of Christ and they are passionate about doing good. And there are those who are full of God-talk who care very little about others.

For me its not a case of either/or. I am motivated by my relationship with the Christ of compassion and eternal life and so many people I have known through the years have acted out of this relationship as well. I figure that whether individuals acknowledge it or not, the good they do is because they are made in the image of God.

I hope June Callwood got the surprise of eternity when she breathed her last in this life. It's hard to imagine that she is separated from the love of God when I consider Jesus' words: "truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it for me." Matt. 25:40

No comments: