Friday, April 27, 2007

Unwired

This past week has been filled with sadness and worry for members of our congregation. A number of our folk have been keeping vigil with loved ones who are ill and even at the edge of death. As I have stayed in touch with them and offered my prayers I have felt heavy, depleted, as though my batteries have run dangerously low.

On Tuesday I will go away for a few days for some solitude and restorative time. I need to step away from my pastoral role at times and have my own opportunities for prayer. I am sorting through what I will take with me. I have professional journals that I just haven't attended to, and books that I am keen to read but sit on my desk. But I will also drink in the silence. Fortunately my spirit is a renewable resource.

There was an article in Wired magazine recently about research which shows that we need sleep and silence to process the deluge of information that is now the reality of daily life.

I am confident that Christ will be my companion during the time away, as he has been in the past.

2 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

Go in 'peace' David...we will all be here when you get back...I'm not sure if that is consolation or not.

Nancy said...

How I agree that we all need that R&R! It is at this time of year that I start to count the days to holiday time. Take care of yourself and enjoy those quiet moments.