Monday, November 23, 2009

Children's Sunday

We didn't focus on Children's Sunday yesterday, although we acknowledged the theme at the children's time and in our prayers. While it is an opportunity to consider children who live in poverty and poor health in countries around the world, it also brings to mind the importance of our own children and young people.

Yesterday I had a number of impromptu or serendipitous children's moments which were meaningful to me. A boy showed up for choir practice at nine thirty having missed the notice that junior choir was cancelled. He rode his bike to be there at that early hour. We chatted about what grade seven is like.

A girl turned ten yesterday and before worship she sought me ought to let me know. She was squirming with delight at the importance of the occasion and it was an impossibly lovely moment.

Another little girl came to show me her outfit and braids, and did a pirouette so I would get the full view. I laughed out loud.

Still another surprised me with a hug as I was speaking with a choir member before the service. I didn't see her coming (I am rather tall) so it was a stealth hug.

I could hardly get through the last hymn and the benediction because a baby who tends to mesmerize one side of the church was in the front row and fixing me with the sweetest smile. I just wanted to go down and take her in my arms, which I did before leaving the sanctuary.

And this morning I got an email message from a teen who liked the sermon!

I feel God's blessing through every one of these kids and so many more.

4 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we, as adults, had the - I'm grappling with the right word - well, I could be here all day. I've got it...you put in your own word. If we, as adults, had the ________, to be able to pirouette to show off an outfit, to squirm with delight about a birthday, to hug someone just on a whim and to touch someone with our smile (to the point that they want to take us in their arms). Ah, youth. BUT don't be surprised if the next time you see me I am 'twirling'!! Have a wonderful, 'youth'filled day everyone!

David Mundy said...

How about two words -- unselfconscious moxie. I agree with you Lynn, and I was finishing writing this entry it occurred to me that each one of these children contributed to making my day by simple not knowing enough to shut the doors and windows of being present to others. We learn our defenses as the years go by but they aren't there yet. They all assumed that I cared, and they were absolutelty correct.

You, on the other hand, can pirouette and smile all you like, but I'll resist taking you up in my arms.

Anonymous said...

There is a little girl in my neighborhood who alawys comes charging at me with open arms and when she catches me she wraps herself around me. Do you know why this is? It's because several years ago now, I applauded her for something, a bike riding trick I think. It made her so happy to be acknowledged. Then whenever I saw her after that I made sure to compliment her always on something she does well, like kicking a ball or running. She's getting older now and tells me about her boyfriends. I still make sure to compliment her on something she does well and remind her that she is the smartest kid I know. It makes my day to offer that to someone, and that what I have to offer is something someone else values enough to receive with so much joy.

David Mundy said...

Good reminder, pupil, that our affirmations of young and not-so-young people can be God-inspired gifts.

The church community is an excellent environment to do this, but it can happen anywhere.