Thursday, November 05, 2009

This Little Pig Went to Market...





Yesterday the CBC radio program, The Current, spent a considerable amount of time pondering the family farm. The host wandered around with a farmer and author, Thomas Pawlick who is convinced that there is a deliberate plan on the part of agribusiness and governments to phase out small farm operations. The title of his book The War in the Country reflects his convictions.While I don't know about conspiracies, it is indisputable that small farmers are an endangered species in North America with the "go big or go home" attitude to agricultural production.

As many readers know, we have friends who more than a decade ago gave up semi-urban life and the relative security of an established business to buy a farm. It was an act of faith, literally, because they were prayerful about making this shift in their mid-fifties. It was a return to his roots but a shared commitment. It has still been a constant challenge as they eke out a living on a beautiful but not all that productive piece of land north of Kingston, Ontario.

All the photos above are from various visits to their place. We buy our beef from them and it is as close to organic as you can get without the certification. This year we bought pork at above supermarket prices because of their commitment to raising animals ethically. It tastes better too. We also buy honey and some lamb and eggs when we visit. We realize how closely they count their pennies, and he has continued to do work as an electrician to keep generating cash. It is the life of the small Canadian farmer.

Sometimes it hits me that while the people of ancient Israel were involved in an agrarian society and Jesus told lots of parables that involved crops and critters we don't often "connect the dots" between faith and farming.

I know I have asked you this before, but to me this is an ongoing question. Do you think about the source of your food? Should we be concerned as Christians about the fate of the small farmer in this country?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am concerned about the source of my food. I find it hard to committ to the idea of eating only local food, but I try to at least stick to foods grown in my own province, then country. I was a little disappointed when I went to that new apple place near us and the produce was from every corner of the earth. I guess it isn't feasable for even local markets to sell only local food. I felt cheated and haven't been back even though this probably isn't fair of me. My thought was that I drove all the way out there, polluted the air with fuel, and had to buy what I could have bought had I walked to the grocery store near my house. It didn't make sense to me.

roger said...

I echo pupil's sentiments about that establishment not having enough local produce, and I too have not been back.

I am acutely aware of the source of my food, and will pay more for local food if necessary. As with pupil, I prioritize...local, then province, then country.

I have lived in various parts of the country, and have been fortunate to be able to do what David is doing - buying beef, eggs, etc, from a farmer who believes in treating animals humanely, ie free run chickens. I gladly give my business to these people.

Unfortunately, I have not found anyone in this area yet, so continue to go to the grocery store for these things.

David, if you could hook up a u-haul next time you go to Kingston, can I give you a list of things I need(LOL)? Just kidding of course, but being a very health conscious person, I would love to find someone local.

On another note, there was a recent article in the Toronto Star about an MP who is trying to introduce a bill that would provide more humane treatment to animals that are en route to the slaughterhouse. I applaud this MP and will be writing to commend her. Not only should these animals be treated much better than they are, as all creatures deserve this, but it would also probably result in better food on the table. Here is the link to the article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/718437--should-livestock-on-way-to-slaughter-get-more-respect?bn=1

If that doesn't work, it was an article in the Oct 30 issue of www.thestar.com.

Nancy said...

When produce is available I make an effort to purchase locally and I, like the others look for local, province, then country.

I have frozen a lot of squash this fall, for soups etc. and have stocked the second fridge with carrots, potatoes and apples. I have canned local tomatoes and frozen many a berry which we picked. Obviously these will not do us the whole winter but it is an attempt. We purchase our ground beef from the family dairy farm, although that is going to be more difficult now, as they have just retired and are no longer milking. A sad state of affairs for a working farm that has been in the family for three generations. The next generation was not interested and it was time for the present generation to retire.

I have purchased local honey and note that they are now advertising more, in that I saw their truck recently with the company name on it. Meadowview Appary (sp) Corner of Scugog and Meadowveiw Streets.

I believe the key is that we are aware of our actions. When I talk at work about the things I've canned or frozen for use later in the year, my colleagues look at me like I have three heads. I think more people need to go back to the basics.

David Mundy said...

I appreciate these thoughtful and down-to-earth responses. Finding food produced locally and available when we need it can be a challenge. It requires a vigilance on our part which is often difficult in busy lives. At least the place two of you mention labels its food sources, which supermarkets tend not to do.

Your quip, Johnny, about the U-Haul actually points out the frustration of supporting small producers. When we take delivery of a quarter of beef or half a hog we either drive to them or meet halfway and visit over a meal. If it happened more than a couple of times a year it just wouldn't make sense. And of course we love going to visit them.

I get what you're saying, Nancy, about the curiosity factor when it comes to the "home arts." When wife Ruth mentions baking bread to co-workers she might as well put on Mennonite clothing and use thees and thous. Some churches have "community kitchen" evenings where people come together to do this sort of thing. Saints preserve us!