Tuesday, November 17, 2009

An Education


We went to see a film lately that doesn't have any big-name stars in central roles, no special effects, and nothing blows up. It does have marvellous acting and a rarity these days, a plot.

An Education is the story of a bright, pretty 16-year-old girl in sixties Britain who is swept off her feet by an older man. He is suave, attentive, and offers her a way out of the dreariness of her studies. Art auctions, concerts, and clubs introduce her to a delightful new world.

Since I don't want to spoil your opportunity to see this picture I'll stop there. Except to say that the chastened young woman eventually has a conversation with the school mistress and earnestly concedes that there is no shortcut to her goal of entering Oxford University.

Her comment made me think of an observation made recently by a Christian writer that the life of faith is not for spiritual sightseers. Discipleship requires maturity and an acceptance of discipline. Just about anything worth pursuing in life involves dedication and setting priorities. At times I think that message gets lost in what passes for present-day Christianity.

Unfortunately An Education is playing downtown in Toronto and not many other places. I would still recommend it highly.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Saw it this weekend, enjoyed it. also saw "Bright Star". Very good movie.I agree with your statement "anything worth pursuing in life involves dedication". I am not sure if I would put faith in that category.

Laura said...

Discipline...brings to mind exercise, diet, finances...I know many disciplined folks in those areas who do benefit from their disciplined approach....but then again I don't see any deep joy resulting from their dedication either....on the other hand those that I have known who possess the spiritual discipline of which you speak are some of the most peaceful, joyfilled people I have known. As I watch my kids grow up, and my parents "grow-down" (both faster than I'd like) I'm coming to realize that there are no short cuts to that place of peace,and joy, detours for sure, but worth the pursuit in my mind.

David Mundy said...

It was a toss up for us between the two films. We would still like to see Bright Star.

Interesting observation about the outcome of our discipline. If we go to the gym or are fastidious about our diet but hate every minute of it, is their much point? If the hard work results in a greater sense of accomplishment and wellbeing then it is worth it.

With faith, surely joy needs to be an outcome. I spoke at a covenanting service on Sunday evening and the minister being welcomed into her ministry quoted me from another day when I made the observation that clergy are in the abundant life business. It was an important jolt about why we are Christians in the first place.