Friday, December 18, 2009

Dog is God Spelled Backward


It was White Gift Sunday this past week and our Sunday School did a great job of leading worship. We had a guest who is visually impaired -- my sense is she has no sight. She came with her guide dog, a Labrador Retriever much like the one pictured above. And also like this one, it calmly lay down under the pew and stayed put for the duration. It was the first time in my thirty years of ministry that someone has come with their guide animal. One child earnestly suggested to her that dogs aren't allowed in church, but the woman gently explained that this is a special dog.

We received word from the government recently that because a church is a public place we must comply with the law when it comes to companion animals, not only for the visually impaired but those who have them to address anxiety and other disorders. That means pot-bellied pigs, ferrets, and rats can all come to church. You may feel that you have sat next to a rat in church before, but only figuratively speaking.

What do you think about a menagerie in church? I wonder about those with allergies. We could read about the ark for inspiration, or perhaps the stable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I love animals I am allergic to them and so I appreciate not having to deal with hives and such at church. That said I wouldn't want someone who needs a companion animal denied. I would try to sit on the other side of the church but this has to be consistent because if I sit where an amimal has all ready been the hives may come anyway. It isn't as simple as taking meds for me and sometimes my symptoms get worse over a period of days after being exposed. It also isn't just being exposed to an animal that is currently present, its being exposed to the dander an animal left behind. Dander hangs around. When I visit someone's home and they have cats, its a bit of a crap shoot. It can get ugly. However, it is someone's home and someone's pet and so I persevere as well as I can. What sometimes isn't understood about allergies is that there is a kind of snowball effect. If you are consistently exposed to an allergene you can also develop new allergies that are present at the same time. Say you are allergic to cats but not dogs. Exposure to both together may cause you to be allergic to dogs. Great subject for me currently. I am in the process of stripping down my environment to the bare bones to discover what new allergen has recently been causing me complications. I can't use soap, laundry detergent, cosmetics, etc. I am still using shampoo but even this has a price. Allergies can get complicated. It can get serious, so the issue of pets at church does have to weighed against that. But denying a companion dog? Well, I couldn't put my own needs first in that case.

Laura said...

I loved seeing the guide dog at work on Sunday. Do you think the "rats" would be so well behaved? (definitely not as cute.)
We got to know an unofficial "working dog" when my Mom was attending an Alzheimer's Day Program. This Golden Retriever attended everyday with his master, who was employed by the program and Barley became a friend to the clients. Now as the Day Program is moving, they are wondering whether Barley will be able to continue his goodwork, as they will be in a multi-use, public building. I do understand allergies, but also appreciate the value of animals in our lives. I don't know that there is a good answer.
Check out a great video & tune @ http://www.andiesisle.com:80/GoD_and_DoG.html. It is a favourite of mine.

Laurie said...

le61I am with pupil on this one, just having spent most of November and December in and out of the hospital with another allergy problem. I also would not want to deprive someone of coming to church if the needed their animal. I don't know what the solution would be.

David Mundy said...

Your responses support the sense that this is a tough one. Allergies are a major issue for some people. Then again, so is blindness. It will be interesting to see if the person and her dog return.

We'll hope and pray that the pot-bellied pigs stay at home and the ferrets and rats can duke it out at the door.