Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Wave for Change

Last Saturday 20,000 people gathered in London, England to demand that the leaders assembling in Copenhagen come up with more than a token agreement on reducing CO2 in the atmosphere. The various events across Britain were part of what was being called The Wave movement.

I was pleased to see that the events were kicked off with an ecumenical worship service at Westminster Central Hall, which involved both the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams and Archbishop Vincent Nichols, head of the Catholic Church in England and Wales. There is a Salvation Army officer in the front row of the photo above. An estimated 3,000 people attended this service.

Our United Church moderator, Mardi Tindal, will attend the Climate Change Summit along with a small UCC delegation. I'm glad that we will be represented because our denomination has been outspoken on this issue for more than a decade. This is a matter of faith, from my perspective, both in terms of awe and respect for creation, and as a justice issue. We are reminded repeatedly that those who will be affected most and first by climate change will be the poor. I heard a radio piece recently which explored the fact that women in developing countries will bear the greatest burden because they procure water, do the majority of the farming, and care for children.

How do you feel about the United Church using dwindling resources to send folk to Copenhagen? Again I'll ask if you think that climate change is an issue for Christians to address?

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Climate change is for ALL people to address not just Christians. Using United Church money to send people to Copenhagen is a good idea.

Anonymous said...

I just started reading Alana Mitchell's book Sea Sick last night. It isn't the first book I have read about climate change but I think it may be the most surprising for me. The effects of CO2 on the ocean and the consequences for life on earth are frightening. I have been thinking alot about whether the United Church should be at Copenhagen and I have come to the conclusion that it is a good use of funds. Churches have led the way before in issues of justice and I think this falls into that category.

Laura said...

Social justice, in all of its many forms, and care for creation/environmental justice are two,wide reaching, current and meaningful examples of living our faith. I'm pleased (and proud, although I know I"m not supposed to be ) that we are actively involved in challenging the status quo,in a time and from a land that it seems easy to be comfortably indifferent.

David Mundy said...

Sounds as though we are agreed on this one.