Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday


I like to live in the present when it comes to my faith, yet there can be great meaning in the traditions which inform us and encourage us from the past. Ash Wednesday is one of those traditions which arguably predates Christianity with the Judaic practice of dousing with ashes to demonstrate penitence.

The Eastern Orthodox Church started Great and Holy Lent on Sunday night, rather than today, after Forgiveness Vespers. I just like the sound of Forgiveness Vespers. Apparently it involves a moving rite of mutual forgiveness.

Here is an ancient prayer which speaks to me, except for the exclusive language and the chastity part!

O Lord and Master of my life,
take from me the spirit of sloth, despondency,lust of power, and idle talk;
But grant rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to thy servant.

Yea, O Lord and King,grant me to see my own transgressions,
and not to judge my brother;
for blessed art Thou unto the ages of ages.
Prayer of St. Ephrem the Syrian - 4th century

Any of you planning to attend an Ash Wednesday service this year? Ours is at 7:00 pm and kids are welcome. Do the ashes spook you a little?

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Some say Ash Wednesday comes from Vedic India. Ashes were called the seed of the fire god with the power to absolve all sins. When I was little Ash Wednesday had no meaning in the United Church. We always had Pancake Tuesday but no service on Ash Wednesday. I have found past Ash services very meaningful.

IanD said...

My first encounter with Ash Wednesday occured while at Queen's in the late 90s, at an Anglican Church in Kingston. Had never seen anything like it, and found it to be a most interesting experience.

Lynnof60 said...

I will be there. Here's the thing...wasn't it just yesterday that we had Ash Wednesday? Another blog topic perhaps.

Nancy said...

Will be there albeit late.... but find the service to be somber and moving at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I will be there, but am a little apprehensive of the ashes due to my overactive repsonse to allergens. A little worried I might have to sit through hives and burning. So I will probably opt out of the symbolism. It will be odd to feel like the odd man[woman]out because I DON'T have a cross on my forehead.

Laura said...

I have been intrigued by my kids response to the cross of ashes on their foreheads. The littlest one always wants to be first in line, and then as they age those "public" displays become a bit more complicated.
Pupil, I easily could keep you company, sit back in my comfortable pew for these rituals, without even the reason of allergins to blame, just my own comfort. These newer rituals test my comfort zone but through the years it is becoming easier, more comfortable and I know I don't want to miss the intamacy of these moments so I will myself forward. Although perhaps the uncomfortableness isn't all bad?...or should we all be as children and skip to the front of the line to be close to God? hmmm.

David Mundy said...

It seems that most religions include some symbolic practice using ashes. There is probably an interesting comparative study out there somewhere. Thanks for that reminder Laurie.

And thanks for the other observations. I reminded folk last evening that the ashes are an outward sign of an inward reality, so they weren't necessary for contrition.

Interesting that we still had fifty people in attendance despite the messy night.