Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Faith Talk and Innovation


Our neighbours at Faith United in Courtice, and their pastor Larry Doyle, have offered an innovative way to participate in a study discussion. They are going to look at a book called Devotional Classics with opportunities to participate "face to face" and online. http://faithunited.ca/forums/faith-talk/devotional-classics The book gathers some of the great devotional reading through the centuries.

Anyone who participates is responsible for buying the book, but the first few readings will be available through the Faith website. It's an interesting idea, and this blog shows that there are thoughtful people who are interested in discussion on spiritual topics, even though they may not be in the same room when that conversation happens.

What do you think about offering study and conversation online? I like gathering because there is spontaneous conversation, laughter, the ability to see and hear the emotional responses of others. But why not exploit the communication opportunities which are out there?

5 comments:

IanD said...

Online learning is a great way to get things done. I've taken four courses online from Queen's since 2006, and they have met my needs simply because of their inherent flexibility. With runts and schedules at our place, it's fit the bill completely.

That said, being able to see the people you're interacting with is something that's missing from online learning. That absence of a face, a smile, and body language can be strange, to be sure.

Susan said...

I am in my second online course and I am enjoying the online chats. Altough, I am not as comfortable with forum chats - umm, yet I am comfortable with responsing to your blog David. I think there would be more work involved for the leadership of the devotional blog - checking daily and responsing to the comments - something that is missing in my forum chats - that's what missing for me. When responsing to a blog or forum, I need feedback so that I know that I am not 'talking' into empty space. I would encourage you to try it David - but there would need to be clear expectations and guidelines about participation and involvement by the leader and participants. And like Ian - even in my online chats I miss the personal interaction of being with other people.

Laura said...

I think it a great idea. Like, Susan and Ian,the face to face comraderie and connection I enjoy. Although I know some don't go to study groups as they aren't comfortable with that face to face sharing of faith stuff.More don't get to study groups because of time constraints. This might fit for both these groups, and speak to a younger generation that now often attends university lectures from the comfort of their home computer.
Looking at Faith's outline, they did have an optional monthly meeting, and a request that each member make at least a small comment on each topic, even if just to say you liked it, so you would still be connected to your whole group each week.
Kudos to our friends in Courtice!
I like the idea of 52 rather than 365 reflections. I alway have good intentions in the New Year for daily but weekly sounds good for now.

Anonymous said...

Not much to add to this, but I also like the idea.

David Mundy said...

I will follow this initiative by Faith with interest. It does make sense, even with the drawbacks.