Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mardi Gras


They say the Mardi Gras party started early in New Orleans this year, right after the Saints won the Superbowl. But today there will be plenty of revelry in that city and in many other locations to mark the last day before the beginning of Lent. The beads in the photo above are part of the celebration in New Orleans.

The tradition has been to have a "blow-out" before the austerity and self-denial of Lent, although Mardi Gras has taken on a bacchanalian life of its own. The idea was to use up all the butter, eggs, and milk in a home before fasting began, which prompted the Pancake Tuesday aspect of the day.

People still give stuff up for Lent, such as desserts, or alcohol. Years ago a parishioner committed himself to giving up anxiety for Lent. How about gossip? Others take things on for the forty days, including acts of compassion. Maybe we should do something like contribute a food item per day to the food bank. Or the cost of a coffee a day for Haiti.

Will you mix up a batch of pancakes today? Will you give up or take on anything for Lent?

6 comments:

IanD said...

I'm going to give up negativity for Lent.

That if I don't blow it first ...

IanD said...

*That's*

Argh! Stay positive ... stay positive ...

Laura said...

Pancakes, for sure,an easy dinner but also marks the day and invites discussion. For Lent, hmmm, I will do one of the things swirling in my head.... Both anxiety and gossip are worthy to give up ....have thought of adding some silence and stillness into each day...still a few hours to decide...perhaps planning ahead a bit better should be considered.

Deborah Laforet said...

We have recently had some tragedies in our communities. Our pianist had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago; a woman who works at a local restaurant lost both her legs because of a clot or something, another loved musician in our congregation is dying of lung cancer, and yesterday, a nine-year old boy died after brain surgery (grandson to a couple in the congregation).

I go into Lent with a very heavy heart. I think Sunday's service will be sombre and reflective. We are having our pancake meal after worship on Sunday as it is too difficult to get people together during the week. (We are also skipping Ash Wednesday service this year.)

Healing will probably be the theme of Lent this year. Maybe even some talk about the nature of God. I have already heard people wondering why God would cause or not prevent such tragic events. It will be a difficult time. I will look forward with hope to the time of resurrection and rebirth.

Susan said...

I did have pancakes and they were very good. As a child, youth and young adult; I tried to give up something for Lent, but, I always missed the mark. This year, I have decided to do something different, I am going to donate something everyday to a charity - whether to the Food Bank, a church sock tree, to the Youth Centre, or to a Woman's Shelter. I am also going to make time and read my UCC lenten devotional book - about money this year. Finally, I am to take notice and record daily those things that make me smile, rejoice, giggle, or bring me joy in a happiness journal. Umm - perhaps I am giving up something for Lent - time and money - not necessarily a bad thing. :)

David Mundy said...

Interesting suggestions and commitments for Lent this year. I'm still trying to figure out what I will do, but a combination of the ideas offered here makes sense.

It sounds as though a theme of healing will be meaningful for your congregation this year Deb.