Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ipossibly


The Apple ipad will be available in Canada this week and to my surprise it intrigues me. This electronic reader will allow people to download books at a modest price, as well as serve a number of other functions including wordprocessing and presentation preparation. Not sure about the meaning of a word in a text? Just highlight it and the definition will be presented. I think the owner can even listen to music, a sort of ipod on steroids. Cool!

Or not. One of the pleasures of books is sharing them with others. I love looking at the bookshelves of readers and discovering their interests. And today I saw an article saying that households with books in them are strong indicators of whether children will eventually pursue post-secondary education. The more books, the more education.

I imagine that the bible will be downloadable in a number of translations and versions which would be handy. The trouble is, I can pick up a bible right now and flip through it, stopping where I choose, reading stories I hadn't noticed before. Someone might even see me reading the bible and ask me about what I'm reading.

Will I end up buying this latest nifty gadget? I have been seduced before by technology but I will certainly hold off for a while. The next generation will be better anyway!

What about you? Any plans to buy an ipad? What is your relationship with books?

9 comments:

Laurie said...

No, I will not be buying an ipad.
I love books, the feel of the pages, the excitement of finding a new author, sharing with others, holding a book my grandmother treasured. We have a library at home(converted a bedroom), Amazon packages are delivered weekly. Books are part of our family.

Deborah Laforet said...

I am also not sold on these devices. A number of people I know own them, and they seem to really enjoy them, but I cannot imagine myself sitting in a cozy corner, reading a story off a piece of hardware. I also love to view people's libraries, and I even love that musty smell in some of the libraries, the smell of the not-yet-discovered story. I may also get drawn in someday, but for now, I will continue with paperbound books.

Anonymous said...

I still prefer a book. I was physically ill when I had to let go of half my collection last year. I also like to flip through my books on occassion re-reading passages that interested me. I don't know how people read entire books from a screen. I can only tolerate a computer screen for a half hour or so before I experience what feels like motion sickness.

Nancy said...

I love books, it's what I do all day, share books with kids. Putting the right book into a child's hand is always so rewarding!! We have shelves upon shelves of books in our house, as both husband and daughter have to own their books, I too like to own, but I do make use of the library.

I have an I-pod and we have downloaded some books so that we can listen to them in the car. In the past, as a family we listened to books on tape/cd in the car, however I think that these may be going and replaced with digital text. Where I have seen a great benefit, is in learning a second language. Our local library offers books on-line (tumblebooks) and they are available in French. This is great for the student who needs to hear correct pronunciation - especially if a parent cannot read the language. These tools are also beneficial for the child who struggles with words and yet so desperately wants to "read" on their own.

I cannot see myself curling up with an i-pad on the dock to read the latest book but, I can see myself listening and sharing with family. I think like everything, there needs to be a balance.

Laura said...

Like the others have said, for me it is the ritual of stealing away with a book in hand to a comfortable space, opening the pages in anticipation that add to the pleasures of a good book. As of yet I haven't found that same "feeling" in electronics.
The possibilities are exciting though, if a generation of "techies" spend time reading rich stuff between twitters and Youtube streams.
"What are you reading these days?" makes great conversation.

David Mundy said...

Doesn't reading these responses make you want to head into the back yard with a good book? Thanks to all of you! Did I mention we will all be meeting in Laurie's library?

Laurie said...

Feel free to borrow books. We have a wide and varied selection. Just ask!

Unknown said...

I was reading all of your comments about the enjoyment that comes from holding a tangible book in your hands, and I tend to agree. I think however, that devices like the Ipad don't necessarily need to replace the book. Dad you browse newspapers online but still buy the real thing too.

Technology gives books portability. Can't decide which novel to take on vacation? Bring five without adding any weight to your luggage. When we want the experience of turning the pages we still can. I say buy one Dad. Plus you get internet,email, and photos too.

I swear I don't work for Apple.

David Mundy said...

I may not be able to resist the advice and logic of one of my two favourite daughters!