Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pondering the Call


So, today is the thirtieth anniversary of my ordination as a United Church minister, as it is for Nancy Knox, my immediate predecessor at St. Paul's. The ordination service took place in Grant Hall at Queen's University. That worship service affirmed our sense of call, significant people in our lives laid on hands as the Holy Spirit was invoked, and we formally entered into the pension and benefit plan. Don't laugh -- in those days we had to pass a fairly rigorous medical in order to be ordained or commissioned and if we didn't make the grade physically we couldn't become ministers. Today human rights legislation has changed all that.

At the risk of a "billions served" flavour, I figure that I have preached well over a thousand Sunday sermons, not to mention all the special services and messages along the way. I have probably presided at 500 or more funerals. Fortunately there have been lots of baptisms and weddings as well. The "holy conversations" and relationships, with God at the centre, have been far more important than statistics.

I am finding that this thirtieth anniversary is more signficant than the twenty fifth. Perhaps it's because so many colleagues enter ministry as a second career and they will never make it to thirty years, making me something of an anomaly. Or it could be that in some professions and jobs individuals can retire after thirty years of service, let alone forty. Or maybe it is because during my restorative leave I pondered packing in ministry, but I'm still chugging along.

Apparently God isn't done with me yet and I'm still keeping my ears open for that call, although it sounds a little different now that I am a grizzled veteran rather than a young recruit. In the end my ministry was and is an outcome of my faith in Christ.

8 comments:

roger said...

Congratulations on your 30th Anniversary, David! I can well understand your thoughts about the timing of retirement - several of my police colleagues are in the 30-35 year range and contemplating "pulling the pin". In every case, each one has stated the experience and indecision has been stressful.

I, myself, have less than 10 years until I can obtain a full pension....and it feels like I became a police officer just a few years ago! So I know how quickly those 10 years will go.

David, I think 40 years of ministry would be a worthy goal for you!

Laurie said...

Congratulations on 30 years! I agree with Johnny, 40 years seems like a good goal.

IanD said...

Big man,

Congratulations. Grant Hall is a special place, and I have shared a similar moment there more than once in my life too. So cool.

You also shared in the experience that was my girls' baptism in July 2005. It was a special day for all of us, and we appreciate your presence and role in it. (I can only assume that your ears are back to normal by now ... nice job, Grace.)

Here's hoping you do hit 40, and that you retire from your ministry at St. Paul's. At any rate, and whatever the outcome, I hope you can continue your course in happiness as the next few years advance.

Laura said...

Sounds like joining the ministry was like joining the army 30 years ago...with those health requirements.(Although I imagine strong health and endurance have been a necessity during difficult times within/for the congregations you have led.)

Interesting when I began working for one of the large banks out of university they referred to "joining" the bank, eluding to what was the norm then, lifetime career bankers. Very quickly that culture changed in the 90's and careers weren't guaranteed and contractors rather than employees became the vogue...you became a skill-set you might have to offer the bank for a specific time, no strings attached. Seems to reflect on a whole societal shift...we seem to really like no strings attached, lots of personal freedom these days?
Anyway...I am so grateful you have bucked that societal trend, even when at times I am sure the easier route would have been to make your leave.

You have a great gift for the ministry, and we at St Paul's have been so fortunate to be a part of it.

I'll buy the gold watch if you go for 50?.... No,I'm sure you and Ruth look forward to retirement so I retract that offer...Conratulations, David!

IanD said...

Re: Physical Requirements:

You should see this guy go at the gym; he puts the "preacher" in "preacher curls. (Stole your joke, David ... couldn't resist.)

Run that physical today?

No problem!

Nan said...

Congratulations David. That is quite a milestone. Retirement is such a personal thing and a decision that can be made only when one feels that they are well and truly ready. Hopefully you won't be ready for a while yet.

David Mundy said...

Thanks to you all for the kind thoughts and well-wishes. At least I'm taking it that you consider the prospect of 40 years in ministry a lofty goal for Christian service rather than a punishment.

Actually, joining the church is akin to joining the army. There's "no life like it" and you get shelled from time to time.

Ah Ian, there is nothing to remind me of my mortality than going to the gym and being reminded of my mortality by young bucks like you.

That is a clever offer of the gold watch Laura. After 50 years I will have no recollection of the promise!

Deborah Laforet said...

I only have 27 years to go! I'm not sure I will make it to forty, as I started a bit later than David.

Congratulations David on 30 years!