Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Combat Christian Leaders


My late father-in-law began his journey to the Presbyterian ministry through the influence of an army chaplain during the Second World War. I can't imagine a more challenging role than military chaplaincy, especially in a war zone.

I read an article recently which says that Canadian military chaplains are "burning out" at a disturbing rate. Little wonder really. The work of consoling soldiers and other personnel who have lost comrades must be overwhelming. I find that affirming new and eternal life in Christ can be difficult in what is fortunately the less common experience of tragic death. For military chaplains this is the norm rather than the exception.

The article points out that even when chaplains return to Canada they are supporting families profoundly effected by loss, not to mention the families dealing with discord and domestic violence as the outcome of post-traumatic stress. The chaplains are registering high levels of anxiety and depressive disorders.

It reminds me that I can pray for pastors and priests who are serving in these important roles.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading the book Shake Hands with The Devil about the Rawandan genocide. It's heart wrenching. At one point when I least expected it I had an anxiety attack. I wasn't reading at the time. I was just driving in the car and the images that I had been skimming over began to bombard me. I can't imagine having been there, when just reading about it is too much to bear. I later forced my self to keep reading because my thought was that it was the least I could do to at least hear their story. It does make me think about prayer and the importance of it. It seems more vital than it did before. You could easily feel that prayer is useless, especially after the fact. But what else is left? How else can you even process this?Dallaire mentions several times that for much of the time all he could do was bear witness, and the importance of that sinks in on so many levels as you read. There is no mention of a pastor or minister, however, Dallaire does mention morning and evening prayers. I hadn't really thought about a minister working in these conditions, but bearing witness must be so much of the job because what could a minister have done otherwise? I will add this to my prayers.

Al Fowler said...

Thank-you for your concern and prayers for military chaplains. In more peaceful times the church has often forgotten about the chaplains who serve with our soldiers, sailors and airmen. Knowing that someone back home cares and supports this worthwhile ministry makes a big difference to the clergy who have allowed themselves to be put in harms way on your behalf. Speaking of Dallaire, there were chaplains in Rwanda with him. One of these chaplains, a United Church minister, was so over-whelmed by the experience that he has not been able to work since that time. The psychological price is very high.
Maj (Ret.) Al Fowler, OMM, CD2
Chaplain Historian

David Mundy said...

Thanks pupil for your reflection and for your response to it, Padre Al. It's so helpful to hear from someone with first-hand experience.