Saturday, June 05, 2010

Praise for My Maker


I have admitted to you before that while I am not a "sing out loud" guy, I often find myself singing a hymn, or whistling while I am walking outdoors. There is something in the experience which elicits praise, and the hymns tell me that I instinctively connect this praise with my Maker. I came across this poem by Tony Hoagland in a recent issue of Orion magazine:

Instead

The deer they said would be there at dawn
never appeared but the dawn mist instead.
Always something instead
like the little brown pebble on the porch
that turned out to be a frog.
Things that arrive on their own
like the domed Conestogas of afternoon cloud,
fat as senators from Mississippi.
How there is always a truth, and then underneath that
another somehow more elusive truth —
All before the pell-mell education of dying
when things will be fast but at the same time slow,
like the loud dripping of a clock.
Instead of the quiet you never noticed
hailstones of rain on the roof,
after which you could hear the wind.
So praise instead;
praise the word instead like a treetrunk
that falls across your path.
Like a bridge that leads away from your destination.
You had expected to be dead by now,or living in New York.
Mist suspended above the meadow:
pale and gauzy, in rumpled sheets;
where you have come with so much readiness.

- Tony Hoagland

4 comments:

IanD said...

"Elusive truth" is an apt phrase, as it's in virtually everything I see and feel.

It's in the air as you walk 'round the neighborhood at night, or suffusing the buildings you remember from your childhood; you can find it in the faces of your children, or in the simplest things like an old blanket or pictures from happier times.


What a great poem.

Laurie said...

Great poem. I think I have a book of his called "Donkey Gospel"

Laura said...

What a wonderful perspective. I did a quick search of some of his other works: a great discovery. thanks!

Deborah Laforet said...

"It's a hymn of love to the Lover, the bumblebees hum along." (It's a Song of Praise to the Maker - Ruth Duck & Ron Klusmeier)

I also find myself singing some of these hymns when I'm out amidst the beauty of this world. This is one of my favourites and that is one of my favourite lines.