Monday, June 14, 2010

Simple Goodness


A few years ago we planted a serviceberry tree in the front yard of the manse, thanks to the generosity of a St. Paul's member. We liked the tree because it produces blossoms in the Spring and berries later. Here is the delightful thing. We never see cedar waxwings in our neighbourhood, except when the berries begin to ripen. They are around now, checking out the not-quite-ready berries. How do they know to show up in time for this treat?

This time of the year is full of simple pleasures. We were sitting in the back yard recently when a cardinal landed on one of our birdbaths for a drink. A blue jay came to the other and splashed around until thoroughly drenched. During a bicycle ride on a section of the Waterfront trail we came upon two whitetail deer who didn't vamoose until the squeak of the brakes startled them.

On a walk at Second Marsh not long ago we saw a bald eagle. Eagles are occasional visitors to these parts as they pass through in the Spring and Fall.

The simple goodness of the world is worth celebrating. As I have said before, I have no problem with evolutionary processes bringing all these creatures into their various ecological niches. I'm just grateful to God they exist.

Any sightings and occurences for you lately?

5 comments:

roger said...

While working in the North Bay area a couple of weeks ago, I had to carry to safety three turtles in two days that were in the middle of the highway. Now, the highway had very little traffic, but the speed(or lack thereof) that these guys were crossing, I didn't like their chances.

One of the locals said it was a major turtle crossing. I'm sure many of them do meet their demise that way.

One of the turtles was a big one and actually growled at me when I picked it up. Pretty ungrateful...but it felt good to get them to safety.

Nancy said...

I smiled and cried at your comment today about the tree in front of the manse. I'd like to think the cedar waxwing is one of our own, come to say hello. With the tree, memories live on.

We sat in our yard last night and saw both a cardinal and bluejay, likely the same ones from your yard. We watched the birds fly in and out of the bird houses we have up, a disagreement as to what type of birds they were arose. We were both too lazy to get the binoculars and take a closer look to make an identification. However, my other half made the comment, "watching and listening to these birds is good for the soul." Couldn't agree more!

Laurie said...

Snapping turtle was laying her eggs in our driveway yesterday. This is the second turtle in a week. I don't really think our driveway is a good place but they have been doing it for years. Our bluebirds are back along with all the other birds. I really enjoy spring/early summer.

Susan said...

David, that is a beautiful picture of the cedar waxwing. Have you ever submitted any of your photos to the national church office for bulletin covers? I know the deadline is normally the end of June and I would like to encourage you to do so if you have not, for your photos are a delight.
Over the weekend, my sister and I planted containers of flowers, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and herbs for both her and me. I, then helped her plant bulbs in her flowerbeds and we went out with the girls to buy their own plants for personal container/garden. While going back and forth to the shed and garage, we saw an adult rabbit and a few baby bunnies hopping around the deck - perhaps waiting for the feast that they knew that was coming. And the bird songs this year have been tremendous and so uplifting. Yesterday, Nancy and I went to the Children's Arena park in Oshawa and walked around and enjoyed the feast for eye and nose of the peony festival. (She enjoyed the smells - I had a cold :( ).
Last Tuesday was a church board meeting and the theological question was where and when have we seen and felt God in our week. For me - nature and the natural world is full of God's presence and wondrous creations.

David Mundy said...

It's good to read all of these responses.

I find the resolute behaviour of snapping turtles to be fascinating. Nothing is going to stop them, even if it costs them their lives! You may have to change your moniker to St. Francis, Johnny. Have you worked out a detour Laurie?

Nancy, you point out that our serviceberry tree is there in memory of a person, which I think is a marvelous commemoration. There are now several memorial forests in our area.

There is something about rooting around in the earth which is life-giving Susan.