Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Waters of Blessing


I am back in Bowmanville again, after my time in New Mexico. Once again I was struck by the unique beauty of the American Southwest. I would have written this yesterday except that my flight from Santa Fe was cancelled on Monday because of severe thunderstorms and rain in Dallas, my transfer point. So I was stuck in Santa Fe for another day, although it is hard to use the term "stuck" for a city with such interesting opportunities. It almost happened again yesterday, and I had a nail-biting dash for my connecting flight. At six last evening I was boarding a plane in Santa Fe, flew through Dallas and was in my home by one in the morning.

My course, Water and A Baptismal Life was excellent, with superb leadership and a group of 45 participants from across the States (I was the lone Canuck) who were worth the trip in themselves. Such bright, informed people. Our Ghost Ranch location, pictured above, was interesting because it is arid, yet formed by water millions of years ago. The tops of the mesas were once submerged beneath a great sea.

Some of the guest presenters were water experts from the area, and they told us that water is so scarce in the region that every drop of H20 is accounted for, and that even the fish have to buy water rights (okay, humans do it for them.) Every public washroom has reminders of the scarcity of water and the need to treat it with respect. It is so different for us with our abundant fresh water which costs us next to nothing.

The baptismal part was provocative as well. The theologians reminded us that the early church included the creation aspect of the waters of baptism and the importance of celebrating it as a gift from God. I will share more about my time away as the week goes by and I catch up with life at St. Paul's.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Welcome home. Sounds like a very worthwhile adventure. Admittedly, I did wonder this week if you had actually made that wrong turn, and ended up in Albuquerque.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Laura. Albuquerque was getting a hailstorm while we were waiting on the runway, so I didn't want to be there!