Saturday, July 24, 2010

God and Gardening


Recently PBS's Religion and Ethics newsletter republished a piece from last year on "spiritual gardening" by Norm Wirzba. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/october-2-2009/spiritual-gardening/4439/He begins the reflection this way:

Gardening is never simply about gardens. It is work that reveals the meaning and character of humanity, and is an exercise and demonstration of who we take ourselves and creation to be. It is the most direct and practical site where we can learn the art and discipline of being creatures. Here we concretely and practically see how we relate to the natural world, to other creatures, and ultimately to the Creator.

This may sound high-falutin' but I think its true. I'm not a good gardener, but there is something about growing stuff that delights me. The weather this year has been kind to gardens with both heat and rain bringing things along quickly. I don't mean to brag --well, I guess I do -- but we have eaten lettuce, chard, kale, peas, onions, tomatoes and peppers we have grown this year. All organic (no, the treasures pictured above are not ours.)

Is gardening a spiritual exercise for you? And how is your garden growing?

4 comments:

IanD said...

The garden is in good shape, despite my worst efforts! I'm actually headed out there in a minute.

I have lived in my present spot for almost six years, and it's been interesting to watch the strong base we inherited with the house grow and change with our efforts. It's a really satisfying process to take part in, and then to observe and doing that does make me feel a little closer to God.

roger said...

You've got tomatoes already?!! You better put a pit bull in your yard, I'm comin' over!!

David Mundy said...

Yup, whether it is veggies or flowers gardens can make us feel closer to the Creator.

Our home garden tomatoes aren't even hinting at ripeness Johnny. It is a community garden plant that has yielded about a dozen tomatoes. So raid that garden if you must, and hey, there are roughly 35 other plots to pilfer!

llama said...

In our fast paced world it is wonderful to grow a garden. You wait in anticipation from when you plant it until you can enjoy all the wonderful fruits and vegetables you have grown. There is satisfaction in creating meals that include homegrown veggies. I'm heading out soon to pick beans and strawberries.