Saturday, July 24, 2010

More Than Bricks and Mortar


Yesterday I got an email from one of the dads in our congregation who has Sunday School age children. He is a "stand-up guy" with a good sense of humour, another of the men in the St. Paul's family who impress me. He finished up by saying that he was rambling, but I really liked his observations and thought I would share a few with you. He began by asking...

What's your take on churches joining forces? I'm not tied to the bricks and mortar like the older generation. I actually think it could be intimidating to people of faith that don't have a church home. The perception of an old established building is that it has an old established congregation. You have to be born into it, or marry into it. I did the latter.

I'm not tied to a denomination like Presbyterian, United, Anglican, Baptist, Christian Reform, and so on. I'm a Christian, and I wish to belong to a church community of like minded, open minded, community conscious, environmentally concerned, charitable, fun loving people.
I don't care for the "we're better than you", "your going to hell if you do that" kind of churches, although they do seem to attract a crowd.

I like our church. I would like it to grow, and flourish. I would like to see similar minded congregations combine resources. Become one larger church family. Attract young families that are the future of the church. Appeal to their interests, and how they want to learn about Jesus, God, and Heaven.

This email made my Friday afternoon. It gives me hope for the future. Thoughts?

7 comments:

IanD said...

Great optimism, great open-mindedness, great message.

Now having said that, how, in a town like Bowmanville, do you get people to see past their own 'bricks and mortar?'

I don't dismiss these people and their deep sense of place ... in fact, I'm one of them! There is honour, purpose and great dignity in seeing your church as the only place you'd consider being, especially if it's been part of your life since before you can remember. I think of St. Paul's in these terms, and would have a hard time consolidating congregations if it meant leaving "the light on the corner."

Doubtless, I'm not alone on this one.

Laura said...

For me, this was beautifully said, and bang on. I don't relish the angst and discomfort that comes from change, but for our kids' sake,and their kids, I think it to be worth it.

Lynnof60 said...

A few days ago I stood in my step-father's home. He had lived there for 65 years. My Mom had lived there for 25 of those years. Andy passed away in April and we have slowly cleared the house of all of their 'stuff'. I realized standing in that empty house that it is just a shell. It isn't the house that is important but the memories that we made in that house. We will always have those. It isn't the building that is the Light on the corner but the people who congregate in that building that make it glow. We can do that anywhere!

SJD said...

Tradition is important.
Our church is a beautiful church filled with wonderful people. I think the burning question is where will it be in 20, 30,or 40 years? Forsight's a little blury, but hind sight is 20/20.

roger said...

I am certainly not against change - I think it is necessary in order to grow. However, I think it needs to be done very carefully.

My parents are in their 80's and were long term members of a church in the region, until a new minister arrived and made some significant changes. They left and never came back.

Months later, my parents discovered that a large number of the older members of the congregation also left.

I do think that "thinking outside the box" is good. I think creativity and imagination are good. I just think that it needs to be done with consultation and carefully.

I, too, am glad to be a member of St. Paul's.

dadx2 said...

David - I had a few people that know me at church ask me if I had sent that e-mail to you - having heard me express similar thoughts in the past. Whoever it was, I agree with alot of what he said!

Lynn, as usual, you expressed those thoughts beautifully.

If neighbouring churches, especially those of the same denomination, are providing similar ministries, all in God's name, why should we compete (as opposed to cooperate) with each other?

Also, as we say 'farewell' to our awesome MInister of Christian Education, Rev. Cathy, I am reminded of my belief that resources spent on Ministries with people have a much more lasting significant effect that resources put into bricks and mortar.

I agree our church building is beautiful and we greatly appreciate it, but the 'People Ministry' is more important to both our present and future!

David Mundy said...

I figure that churches cannot exist without tradition, because we have a historical memory of the events of 2,000 years ago and earlier, without which our Christian story makes no sense. It is nostalgia rather than tradition that is a killer for the church, and we are seeing congregations die left, right and centre.

We have an advantage of being a multigenerational denomination and so we must respect our elders, always keeping an eye to the future.

I figure we are at a tipping point in the UCC and that if we don't get creative and open ourselves to the work of the Holy Spirit we will be humbled.

It's wonderful to read all these comments and to realize that a thoughtful guy in our congregation prompted them.

Thanks to the two newcomers to the discussion.