Saturday, August 07, 2010

Mad Mel


I have enjoyed a number of Mel Gibson movies through the years, including some of the rather mindless action flicks. But long-time readers may remember that I expressed my queasiness over his adoption by the conservative Christian community as the poster boy for Christ's suffering love through his film The Passion of the Christ. I think I described The Passion as Braveheart with a halo, with a disturbing emphasis on excruciating and incredible violence inflicted upon Jesus by Jewish leaders and the Roman authorities. The crucifixion of Jesus is a pivotal part of our story of redemption, but that film glorified violence and I didn't appreciate it at all.

I have to wonder how the star-struck religious leaders who invited St. Mel (Mad Mel?) to their gatherings feel now. Over the past couple of years there have been a series of incidences which seem to reveal an angry, abusive, and racist narcissist. The Passion was unbalanced and ultimately destructive in my opinion, and if allegations are accurate, so is he.

It might be helpful if Mel went into some kind of Christian rehab, where he was required to study and absorb the Sermon on the Mount, as well as other passages where Jesus demonstrates compassion, healing, and respect for women.

Hey, we can all remember that he is just an actor, not an official religious leader. What has your reponse been to the latest allegations against him? Should we care?

No comments: