Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lest We Forget

The photo above is of the Remembrance ceremony at insurer Lloyd's of London today. The British do up Remembrance Day in a big way. I have been in London on November 11th and it is moving. It's interesting that while Britain has become a very secular culture, they still broadcast religious services on this day. This year the Royal British Legion has taken a new direction offering a two minute download of silence, believe it or not. Here is a preview http://www.youtube.com/user/royalbritishlegion

I will soon head over for the Remembrance service at the local cenotaph. I hope you will all pause to express gratitude for those who have served for the freedom of others.

3 comments:

IanD said...

Amen.

roger said...

I was involved in the Remembrance Day service on November 10 in Bridgenorth(they beat the rush each year by having their service a day earlier), and have been so involved each of the previous two years.

As I march with the Veterans, and as I lay the wreath on behalf of my police service, I truly do think about how much they sacrificed for us.

I think about my Dad joining the army at 14(!) and fighting in the jungles of Burma as a teenager. I think about his brother who was killed during the war, and how my Dad had to cope with that while he was thousands of miles away from home.

They all gave so much. We must never forget.

David Mundy said...

Thanks guys.

I listened to a veteran of the Burma campaign on CBC radio yesterday. He went on to be a professor at U of T and has written a book on the subject. He was an articulate speaker, and I was struck by the emotion in his voice at several points. After all these decades the war has not gone away. He was 17 when he signed up.

It's good that you honour your dad and other vets in this way Johnny.