Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cosmic Advent


We have an Advent calendar, which was really an excuse to count down to Christmas with our children when they were young. It is made of wood with little compartments which are opened day by day. There were treats behind each cover and the anticipation every three days was part of the pleasure of the season.

The Boston Globe Big Picture is offering its own version of the Advent Calendar, offering a different photograph of the universe each day -- like, Cosmic man! It's not exactly traditional, but why not? Part of the challenge of Christmas is considering an event so ordinary as a birth and contemplating the cosmic implications. I know most of us consider birth to be a little miracle, but there will 163 million babies born on planet Earth this year. Our Christian faith invites us to ask what one birth which took place 2000 years ago means for us. Bye the way, there were only about 200 millon people of Earth at the time Jesus was born, or about a 33rd of today's population.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/2010_hubble_space_telescope_ad.html

Take a look at the photos and enjoy. And ask yourself what the hype of Christmas is all about. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

O.K. O.K. I've figured it out! I have never thought of myself as a person steeped in tradition. Although this is true I have now come to realize that there are some traditions that mean a lot to me. And one is being around the church and our church family at Christmas. As I sit on this balcony in Ft. Lauderdale on this Saturday afternoon - I am feeling a wee ache for those of you back in Bowmanville (actually, a little more than 'wee') We have had one family down last week and the other family coming next week so that part of me is fulfilled. I am excited that I have found a church for tomorrow that is putting on a 'Christmas Bell Concert" in the morning. Perhaps something other than "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" and "Jingle Bell Rock". Have I answered the question? I forget what it was now but I think I just wanted to let you know (oh I can't believe it I am actually hearing "Jingle Bell Rock") how much this church called St. Paul's and the people in it mean to me, all year, but especially at Christmas.
P.S. I would appreciate it if you would keep these thoughts to yourself as this holiday was MY idea and Richard goes by the adage "if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"
P.P.S. For those of you who thought I was gone from this blog until the new year....GOTCHA!!

Laurie said...

Lynn,enjoy the sun and warmth and your family. I have spent some Christmas's away from Canada, they have all been hard because like you I love tradition. But they all have had a magical moment that has made them special. Enjoy the service tomorrow. I now have Jingle Bell Rock going around in my head! Thanks!#*
Liked the photos,David. Great idea for an Advent colander. We have Advent calendars filled with stamps, chocolates, little poems, something different each day.

David Mundy said...

Good to hear about your Advent calendars Laurie.

Of course we miss you Lynn and of course you should be here! In the end you won't regret what you're doing though.