Friday, May 13, 2011

The Whole Person



It appears that yesterday's post about the recovery of the whooping cranes is gone, as is my reflection on the ten million dollar donation by Bell Canada to the fundraising for the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health or CAMH. With that donation the total has gone over the hundred million dollar threshhold to 108 million. Impressive. Not only will help fund a new building in Toronto (pictured above,) it will help to expand services. It is encouraging that a major corporation has put its money where its mouth is.

On Tuesday I visited one of our seniors in the psychiatric unit of a hospital, someone who has a long history with bipolar illness. Except for our pastoral care person, Beth, no one else knows of this diagnosis because of the stigma. What a shame. Jesus spent much of his public ministry healing people, including those with mental health issues. We can lead the way in the church in addressing mental health and, more importantly, supporting those who are vulnerable.


Comments?

5 comments:

janet.rice said...

This blog touches our hearts, knowing the sorrow and tragedy of mental illness. Bell Canada has really stepped up to the plate for CAMH... (remember their Let's Talk campaign last February headed up by Olympian Clara Hughes?). (As an aside, I feel as if I am making a monthly contribution through my very expensive Bell phone bill...if that is where my dollars are going then there is some comfort.....)

The Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health is every bit (or more) deserving of Bell's support - they do incredible work in this field.

I have great empathy for our anonymous senior in hospital. Reducing stigma will go a long way in supporting and improving the lives of the mentally ill and their families.

janet.rice said...

Don't know if my P.S connected...

If not, I will say again..it must be terrible to fight an illness while feeling so isolated.

IanD said...

Glad the stigma is lessening, and that mental health is gaining in mainstream consciousness as something worth supporting.

roger said...

I was glad to hear about Bell Canada's offer. Mental health really needs to become less taboo a topic.

A good friend died this weekend in his early 50's, and until two weeks ago, I had not known he had been experiencing so much emotional pain. I reached out and tried to help, but he repeatedly stated he just needed more time. I am saddened that he did not want to get help, and although I'll never know for sure, perhaps he did not want any kind of stigma attached to himself.

David Mundy said...

Thank you for that other connection Janet. I agree that it is sad that anyone lives in isolation with mental illness because of the concern about perception. The individual I mention does have friends who are aware and supportive, but is reluctant to tell people in the church and the community where she lives.

We tend to be surprised and regretful when we hear, after the fact, of those who have struggled with mental health issues. It happens too often in ministry, and there is always the "what could I have done?" question.

Thanks to all three of you.