Saturday, February 11, 2012

50/50

At our Wednesday morning bible study we take time at the beginning to pray for one another and those for whom we care. This past week we were told of the death of a nephew with cancer, a cousin who is seriously ill with cancer, a niece who just got the "all clear" from cancer treatment. We have a couple of members who are currently undergoing chemo and radiation and it hasn't been an easy road even though they are courageous.
The requests for prayer came in the same week we saw the film 50/50 which is now out on DVD. It is the story of guy in his twenties who is diagnosed with cancer even though he lives a healthy lifestyle. The "50/50" refers to his odds for survival. We see his shock, the reaction of friends and family, the fear of death he experiences as he faces surgery. Along the way there is a fair amount of humour.
I will warn you that it is a tad raunchy -- isn't that a given with Seth Rogen?-- but it is really worth seeing because it addresses the issues of contending with a life-threatening disease in what we thought was a realistic way.
Have you seen the movie? Are any of you dealing with cancer in your family? Does your faith help?

3 comments:

IanD said...

i really want to see this film, and by and large it's gotten good reviews. As for cancer?

I wish I'd never heard of it.

Nancy said...

I agree with Ian, re wishing I'd never heard of cancer. In the last two weeks, we have heard of 3 people we know, or are friends of friends who have been diagnosed. One is a parent of a student, and unfortunately things do not look good. Doing what I can to support, and comfort as best I can. My faith helps but it still sucks! - Sorry form my language but cancer is one of those things that is just so unfair and there is no rhyme or reason as to who is affected. Praying for a cure and a better understanding of the disease.

Anonymous said...

My mother was first diagnosed with cancer when I was 19, she lived 10 years cancer free after that, then it was back. Cancer became much more than a word for me, as I cared for my mother in her final two years. The 16th anniversary of her passing is coming up, and the memory of all that surfaces again.My sister has also been through and survived cancer. Now, we wait and pray for my cousin who is only 51 years old. I have had a 'spot' show up on a routine test, and have had to go through the 'keeping an eye on it' process for that past two years. |I know cancer well, and a times I feel it is stalking me.