Monday, February 27, 2012

The Lorax



Ruth, my patient life partner, can't figure our why I am not a bigger Dr. Seuss fan, given my propensity for making up words. I am really partial to The Lorax, written forty years ago with a remarkably far-sighted environmental theme. I have done a number of presentations and workships on faith and the environment, and on a few occasions I have read The Lorax to groups of adults who are delighted and challenged by the story.
So, now that the film version is coming out, please, please, don't get it wrong! I did like Despicable Me, and the same people are behind The Lorax, so perhaps I needn't worry. I notice that the website for the film has tips for "living green," so the basic premise is still there. The trailer has left me wondering though.
I suppose that whatever gets kids and adults pondering care of Creation is positive. As the last words of the book offer:
Plant a new Truffula. Treat it with care.
Give it clean water. And feed it fresh air.
Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack.
Then the Lorax
and all of his friends
may come back.
Are you looking forward to the movie? A little apprehensive? What movie?

3 comments:

IanD said...

Danny DeVito?! Seriously?!

Laura said...

Our JYP group asked to do a night at the movie theatres to see The Lorax, which we'll do.

We just watched "Horton Hears a Who" together, a few weeks ago, as we had been exploring human dignity, and Horton "gets it". The discussion which followed was engaged and honest and encouraging. (We had read a number of the parables too, so we didn't leave it all to Dr Seuss.)

I have heard of a study series on the Gospel according to Dr Seuss, and think it might be an interesting angle, as kids (of all ages) seem to enjoy the whimisical style of Seuss.

Admittedly, I have enjoyed Dr Seuss more as a parent, than I ever did as a kid.

PS Ian, don't you think Danny DeVito kind of looks like the Lorax?

IanD said...

I saw him on Saturday Night Live last weekend, and he doesn't even look like Danny DeVito anymore!