Sunday, August 26, 2012

Civility

I thought I would share with you an exchange of ideas with a colleague over a controversial subject, the report on relations between Israel and Palestine adopted at General Council recently. It begins with a letter to the editor in the Globe and Mail an continues with email exchanges. Christopher White served Westminster United in Whitby admirably for nearly two decades and is now in Toronto.  I think this demonstrates that UCC ministers aren't in lockstep and can agree to disagree.

Re United Church Approves Israeli Settlement Boycott (Aug. 18): I recognize and fully acknowledge the complexity and pain that is endemic to that part of the world, and the issues around the settlements themselves. But as a United Church of Canada member, I oppose this motion and will not participate in any boycott actions.

While mainly symbolic, symbols are very powerful. Stripped of its rhetoric, motions and amendments, the symbolism of this motion is that a Christian church has just invited the world to boycott products made by Jews. Given the history of the Jewish people in relation to the Christian church, this is simply wrong and will do great, if not irreparable harm.

Hi Christopher,

 I was disappointed to read your Globe and Mail letter to the editor this morning, not because you disagree with the United Church report on relations between Israel and Palestinians – many are aware of certain shortcomings in the report – but because you characterized the issue as censorship of Jews.  Israel is a secular state, a liberal democracy as the rabbis of Canada and the CJC like to remind us. The criticism is of the state of Israel, not of a religion which happens to be Judaism. It is a criticism which the United Nations has leveled against the settlements, and to a certain extent a staunch but cautious ally, the United States government.  You are certainly aware that the United Church has done a great deal over the years to combat anti-semitism.  Your letter may well be used as support for a notion which simply is not accurate.

 Personally I don’t think this boycott will be useful, but I have visited Israel several times, and spoken with Palestinian Christians who feel persecuted for no other reason than their Palestinian background, as well as with observers at wall checkpoints.  Even though I fully support the existence of the state of Israel and its right to protect itself, I cannot support what has happened with the settlements and it has nothing to do with religion.  I’m glad that the United Church was willing to wrestle with this, as have many other denominations across North America this year.

 I hope things are going well for you at Fairlawn and the congregation is enjoying your considerable gifts.

Shalom,
 
David
 
Hi David,
It was good to hear from you, I hope things are going well for you and your church and I wish you blessings as the fall season ramps up.
I am truly sorry that you were disappointed by my letter and without getting into a lengthy debate I will simply say that I stand by what I wrote and I spent three days in careful thought and reflection before I sent it. As you can imagine I am getting emails of both support and strong criticism, which is to be expected. It is without question a difficult and painful issue and I did not believe that the motion would pass without significant amendments and am in the unhappy position of being angry at myself for not opposing this earlier.
I have great respect for your views and your ministry and while we are not in agreement here, I appreciate your perspective. I was in Israel this past January for the first time and plan on going back.
With best wishes,
Christopher

Hey this is good – UCC clergy being civil with one another while they disagree!
 
Blessings
 
Thoughts? Comments?



2 comments:

roger said...

Interesting dialogue. I think one point that needs to be emphasized is that just because one disagrees with the settlements and Israel's policies regarding Palestine, that is NOT a slam against religion. It is NOT being anti-semetic.

I, too, support Israel's right to exist.

Laura said...

Reading your civilized debate helped clarify for me,what I thought to be true,and the point that Roger emphasizes of boycotting a secular state, not a religious group. Thanks for helping us to better understand our church's stance on a complicated issue.